pigsticker

Shore Fishing options from west side of Maui?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Hello all,

We are headed to Maui for a family vacation and staying in the southwest corner of Lahaina and hope to do some shore fishing. It appears that this side of the island has very little surf so my assumption is that there is very little chance of catching big game from the shore? I would love to catch jacks if possible but I do not know what to expect in this calm water. Should I chuck large surface baits on my surf rod or just fish with small rods, closer to shore with light tackle for small reef fish? I do have access to a lot of shoreline and plan to fish early mornings, before sunrise and/or at sunset. Thanks for any information or tips in advance.

I have nothing important to add but that sounds awesome.  Wish you luck, and if for some weird reason you wanna bring me along, I'm sure my wife would be ok with it.   J/K. ...

Fishing Hawaii is a bucket list for me.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was in that area for my honeymoon a couple years ago, one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been and I enjoyed every second of that trip. That being said, the shore fishing sucks in Maui, and I certainly put some effort in. No point in bringing a larger setup, bring a medium inshore setup, and a few small spoons and jigs and hope for the best. They call it “whipping” over there, casting artificials. I caught a barracuda and a couple snappers, one guy who I was near caught a small Ulua, not much else to show for it. Much of the nearshore fish are

herbivores. I found it a lot more fun to snorkel/free dive than to shore fish there, there is a ton of life, but most of it isn’t interested in lures or bait.

Edited by C.Robin

28 mins ago, C.Robin said:

I was in that area for my honeymoon a couple years ago, one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been and I enjoyed every second of that trip. That being said, the shore fishing sucks in Maui, and I certainly put some effort in. No point in bringing a larger setup, bring a medium inshore setup, and a few small spoons and jigs and hope for the best. They call it “whipping” over there, casting artificials. I caught a barracuda and a couple snappers, one guy who I was near caught a small Ulua, not much else to show for it. Much of the nearshore fish are

herbivores. I found it a lot more fun to snorkel/free dive than to shore fish there, there is a ton of life, but most of it isn’t interested in lures or bait.

When I was in Hawaii a few years ago, I was surprised at how poor the shore fishing was.  The boats running just a little way out did fine, but Hawaiian fishing is generally unregulated (there are some rules, and even some closed areas, but generally, rules are few) and there is a strong tradition of "subsistence fishing," which means that people are either fishing or spearfishing in most public areas, and the life expectancy of anything that might take a bait if dismayingly short.  

Maybe there are more remote areas were the fishing is good--I suspect that they are--but from what I saw, people put in a lot of time for very little reward.

It's still interesting--you can stand on lava outcrops tossing lures while green turtles swim in the surf a couple dozen feet away--but as far as the abundance of fish goes, I've seen a lot more fish under the bridges in the Florida Keys.,

2 hours ago, CWitek said:

When I was in Hawaii a few years ago, I was surprised at how poor the shore fishing was.  The boats running just a little way out did fine, but Hawaiian fishing is generally unregulated (there are some rules, and even some closed areas, but generally, rules are few) and there is a strong tradition of "subsistence fishing," which means that people are either fishing or spearfishing in most public areas, and the life expectancy of anything that might take a bait if dismayingly short.  

Maybe there are more remote areas were the fishing is good--I suspect that they are--but from what I saw, people put in a lot of time for very little reward.

It's still interesting--you can stand on lava outcrops tossing lures while green turtles swim in the surf a couple dozen feet away--but as far as the abundance of fish goes, I've seen a lot more fish under the bridges in the Florida Keys.,

The amount of green sea turtles we saw was insane. We did a snorkeling tour that advertised sea turtles (molokini crater) and we spotted one on that tour. But while fishing and diving by random beaches we saw dozens.  At one spot I found on google maps there was what I called a sea turtle blitz. Again, barely caught anything, but the scenery was more than enough to keep us entertained.

Also, @pigsticker, you’re going to want to pack everything you’re going to fish with. Very few tackle shops, only one in the Lahaina area and I think only 2 on the whole island. My personal tackle inventory is significantly more than what the shop near Lahaina had, and I don’t even think I own that much.

Edited by C.Robin

I hate the turtles.  They have poor personal hygiene and their poop floats.  It washes up on the beach up and in our neighborhood the shoreline is covered in the stuff.  The turtles are no fun to look at because most have big ugly tumors all over their skin.

Something is out of whack in the ecosystem for there to be so many turtles.  Maybe it is all the invasive algae they have to eat.  Maybe it's because all the large tiger sharks have been killed. Don't know.

Oh, and yeah, all the shoreline fish have been decimated by unregulated gill netting and overfishing.

Edited by oc1

If the family will stand for it, Maui has shore fishing guides, or did when I was last there. I did a 24-hr. trip with Off Road Shore Fishing Adventures. There were a couple of other guys, too.

His name currently escapes me, but ORSF Adventures was a transplanted Texan.  He grilled a mean steak on the beach. We had one runoff on a massive eel  bait that may or may not have  been an ulua, but the fish dropped the bait.

Thanks for the information guys. It sounds like the general consensus is exactly as I expected. I do plan to bring my own tackle, I have a handy assortment but usually fish it in Mexico where it seems maybe good fish are a bit more plentiful off the pacific coast. Anyhow, I'll bring some medium action rods and light tackle and see if my son and I can maybe land a few colorful fish for the memory banks. I guess if I really want to get serious, I'll look into chartering a boat, but last time I was in Maui for my honeymoon which was 17 years ago, it was expensive then...I can't imagine what it costs now!!

4 hours ago, pigsticker said:

Thanks for the information guys. It sounds like the general consensus is exactly as I expected. I do plan to bring my own tackle, I have a handy assortment but usually fish it in Mexico where it seems maybe good fish are a bit more plentiful off the pacific coast. Anyhow, I'll bring some medium action rods and light tackle and see if my son and I can maybe land a few colorful fish for the memory banks. I guess if I really want to get serious, I'll look into chartering a boat, but last time I was in Maui for my honeymoon which was 17 years ago, it was expensive then...I can't imagine what it costs now!!

Fishin with your kid sounds perfect to me.  

Have a great trip. 

3/8 and 1/2 oz GOLD kastmasters , small leadheads with small black twisty tails, casting egg with small hooks and small grubs. Pieces of squid on a snapper style rig you used as a kid. 10 lb floro leader.

Was there last year. If i went again, id probly

leave the rods home. If you're into snorkeling,

you'll love it. Id advise staying away from the

cattle call packed trips. Rent yourown wheels

and walk down to the coves and points. Had a 

blast swimming w dolphins and had beaches

to ourselves.

All of the Islands have rough weather to the windward side.   And, calm seas to the Lewards side.  Most fishing is done off boats.  I've seen good results on Kauai and the Big Island.   Talk to the skippers.   I prefer catching and releasing several fish to grinding all day for that chance at a larger fish.

Right now, all the islands are surrounded by a ring of muddy water.  If the rain quits it could be back to normal in a few weeks.