Ginzo2323

Bullet mold from Collins or smiling bills

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

I have a Lee pot.  But I'd much rather have the 10lb version for $20 more.   Between the cool down and fluxing. I'd rather do it alot less.    

I do love the heat control on the Lee.  Came in real handy on getting alot of zinc out of a big bar.     

On 3/6/2021 at 8:17 AM, wok167 said:

If you are just starting making jigs,  I would recommend starting with the Do-It molds.

You can buy 5 -6 Do-It molds for the price of one Collins. 

Collins will be worth the price if you are casting huge (I mean really huge) quantities, or have a need for a mold style not offered by Do-It or other mold companies. 

Having said that, Collins Molds are simply solid chunks of engineered awesomeness. Even if the purchase isnt the most fiscally responsible, I doubt you would regret buying one.

Its all depends on the hook for me. I wanted a light weight jig head option and the ability to use a Mustad 8/0 34185 and 34184 hook which are proven to be a durable hook for Striped Bass. Collins molds was ready to go and no modification to the mold was necessary. I pour for myself have the Collins for years now and the modified bullet molds from Do It sits, unused. Doesn't matter if you are using for yourself and pouring a bunch. It all starts with the hook. 

3 hours ago, Ginzo2323 said:

Riddler is there a reason you don’t prefer the 

34184/34185 over the 3407 on the smiling bill what about a bullet mold

I use the 34184-34185 8/0 because its plug and play into the collins mold, made for it. Simple and done. If you want to use the 3407 in it then you would need to add a brass insert or other means. 

1DEBCF3C-4490-42AB-AC7D-15EDAC26EE60.png

7FB33C4B-5026-435F-9F0C-A53DDEDE844F.jpeg

If you want to bang them out quick I see what you are saying. Do you think it changes the action on the bucktail or bullet the two different hooks.

46 mins ago, Ginzo2323 said:

If you want to bang them out quick I see what you are saying. Do you think it changes the action on the bucktail or bullet the two different hooks.

No. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

14 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Its all depends on the hook for me. I wanted a light weight jig head option and the ability to use a Mustad 8/0 34185 and 34184 hook which are proven to be a durable hook for Striped Bass. Collins molds was ready to go and no modification to the mold was necessary. I pour for myself have the Collins for years now and the modified bullet molds from Do It sits, unused. Doesn't matter if you are using for yourself and pouring a bunch. It all starts with the hook. 

Precisely my experience. Once you've used a Collins you can't go back! Buy once cry once! It's not that the Do-IT is a bad mold but the Collins is far superior. It occurs to me it really isn't fair to compare the two because of the price differential.

Marc

Edited by mml4

1 min ago, PSegnatelli said:

Ok, so other than the hook, what is the difference?

The Collins molds give you the option of hook placement on certain molds and also the choice of no eyes, eyes molded in or depressions to fit the holographic eyes. You also can choose to use hooks made for jigs or brass eyelets with standard hooks. You can also order molds modified to accept eyelets for swing tails.

Marc

I know we touched on the hook and that does not  change the action. His eyelets that use the sinker weight does that change the action compared to the 34184/85.

3 hours ago, mml4 said:

Precisely my experience. Once you've used a Collins you can't go back! Buy once cry once! It's not that the Do-IT is a bad mold but the Collins is far superior. It occurs to me it really isn't fair to compare the two because of the price differential.

Marc

Do It has made a push with new styles. Manic Mullet mold from Do It was one. Multiple hook options. I had a need for light jig heads and the Mustard 6/0 32786 hook fit the bill.  Plenty of gap from hook point to bait. 

E13D1212-8C3C-495E-B47A-620E2D28DE14.jpeg

2279B492-1589-4809-AAC6-D00E34CF2A1B.png

395F1920-9538-4A4A-ADA0-A7019A25263A.jpeg