Ginzo2323

Bullet mold from Collins or smiling bills

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

I was looking for some feet back from guys on the bullet mold with collar from Collins or the smiling bill mold. I understand different lure different application. I would like to know what guys prefer and why. I want to start making jigs is it worth spending the money on the Collins mold.

Same here......looking at a few different ones he offers. Looks like there are aspirin head and pacman that use a 60* hook for forward balance and then bullethead or rubylips w/90* hooks. Im leaning toward one of thee molds that use 60* hooks for surfcasting.

If you are just starting making jigs,  I would recommend starting with the Do-It molds.

You can buy 5 -6 Do-It molds for the price of one Collins. 

Collins will be worth the price if you are casting huge (I mean really huge) quantities, or have a need for a mold style not offered by Do-It or other mold companies. 

Having said that, Collins Molds are simply solid chunks of engineered awesomeness. Even if the purchase isnt the most fiscally responsible, I doubt you would regret buying one.

He sells pre-made molds on the auction site anywhere from $125-$250, currently.

When I ordered mine custom many years ago, I think the custom ordered ones were actually a few dollars less than compared to the auction site.  I would reccomend dealing directly, they were very responsive and easy to deal with through email.

36 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

What do they run?  

3 mins ago, wok167 said:

He sells pre-made molds on the auction site anywhere from $125-$250, currently.

When I ordered mine custom many years ago, I think the custom ordered ones were actually a few dollars less than compared to the auction site.  I would reccomend dealing directly, they were very responsive and easy to deal with through email.

Thanks!  One day I'd like to get a mold for some tins.   But I need to find my favorites first.   

Just now, PSegnatelli said:

Thanks!  One day I'd like to get a mold for some tins.   But I need to find my favorites first.   

Smart Move!!

You definitely should know exactly what you want/need before shelling out that kind of cash.

This mold is probaby 7 or 8 years old and has cast 1,000 or so jigs. Still as tight and shiny as the day purchased. 20210306_112212.jpg.ce590c4fa1745a8dcd5a4ce9a394fbd2.jpg20210306_112131.jpg.96499a12d0c26e262dd3c6b41e42c2d1.jpg3

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was looking for the mold that can fit the mustad 3407 I like that heavy hook.

55C97B30-5176-4D2A-9C48-0F9E7401FE99.jpeg

Edited by Ginzo2323
Added photo

I have one of his bullet jig molds for soft plastics. It's a great mold well built. The hook sizes where a little over kill for my application. If your using 7/0, 8/0 hooks you won't be disappointed. 

Not sure if anyone makes molds like this, I machined this mold to be modular .....  it's really a money saver, 1 mold makes 2 different types of heads,  you can install a mushroom collar insert for bucs  or swap the insert for the barbed  collar, kind of a 2 in 1 mold.... takes 8/0's

DSC02041.JPG.ec48ef81526840505b536c2508674c5c.jpeg.db5e6f67ef328c90be33391868b000b0.jpeg

DSC02040.jpg.5a92c25292062fc989734802753e12d9.jpg.88901042a0ae738d22930ca4df1c56c2.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

52 mins ago, Ginzo2323 said:

What are the weights on those heads

1-1/4

1-1/2

Edited by BillZ