Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
puff tentacle

Need Charter recommendations in the Keys

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I am going to down to the keys with three fishing buddies on March 23 and we are looking to grab a few charters in Isla Mirada, Marathon ,and possibly Key West.  We are looking to do some bottom fishing (reef) .  If there are other keys that you know that has a good captain that’s fine.   We are landing in Miami then driving down ,so we can stop wherever.

thanks

And miss out on the stellar weather and on the water action up here?? How dare you lol

Capt Skip Bradeen on the Blue Chip in Islamorada. Hes been at it for bout 50 yrs. Grew up with his brothers in East Meadow and chartered his original Blue Chip 43 yrs ago. Had a blast.

Please check out Pat Bracher with Overtime Charters. If looking for an inshore grand slam, he cannot be beat. I wouldn’t hire anyone else. He’s that good.

I know you want reef fishing, but Islamorada offers so much more. Do the reef fishing in Key West. In Islamorada, go with the Tarpon or snook fishing in the back country, Jimi Fickling 305-522-5510. Put me on a Tarpon of a lifetime. Nice guy, full of knowledge and fun to fish with. Located at the World Wide Sportsman marina. About a mile or so south of Bud & Mary's. 

18 hours ago, Rougesun said:

Please check out Pat Bracher with Overtime Charters. If looking for an inshore grand slam, he cannot be beat. I wouldn’t hire anyone else. He’s that good.

19 hours ago, the3fishheads said:

Capt Skip Bradeen on the Blue Chip in Islamorada. Hes been at it for bout 50 yrs. Grew up with his brothers in East Meadow and chartered his original Blue Chip 43 yrs ago. Had a blast.

Thanks for the solid recommendations I will reach out

17 hours ago, Fishtale7 said:

I know you want reef fishing, but Islamorada offers so much more. Do the reef fishing in Key West. In Islamorada, go with the Tarpon or snook fishing in the back country, Jimi Fickling 305-522-5510. Put me on a Tarpon of a lifetime. Nice guy, full of knowledge and fun to fish with. Located at the World Wide Sportsman marina. About a mile or so south of Bud & Mary's. 

I will run this by my friends . I have never caught a tarpon or a snook for that matter, it sounds like something that we should definitely experience

thank you

If you're going to be there until the 28th ask guides out of Key West to take you to the Western Dry Rocks, it's not particularly skill intensive but it's a perfect time of year to be bottom fishing there.

If your primary interest is bottom fishing, you might want to see what the party boat that runs out of Bud 'N Mary's at the south end of Islamorada is doing.

Over the years, there have been a couple boats there--the most recent might be the Islamorada Lady, or something like that, but I've fished on the boats a number of times, and they're a solid operation.  No, you won't do as well as you might on a charter, but depending on available dollars, the party boat might be an option on days when you'd otherwise stay on shore or can't find a captain who isn't booked (if you're having trouble finding a captain, you can also book charters out of the Bud 'N Mary's tackle shop).

The party boat at Bud 'N Mary's isn't the sort of horror show that you can run into up here.  It's a pleasant experience.  My fondest memory is being on the boat one day when a guy from New Jersey wanted to keep a short yellowtail snapper.  The mate told him to toss it back, and then the captain told him to toss it.back, and when the guy said that he paid his money to fish from the boat and could do anything he wanted with his fish, the captain gave him back the price of his fare, told him to go sit in the cabin and never set foot on the boat again.

Which, in itself, tells you how the party boats down there differ from the ones in this part of the world.

On 3/5/2021 at 7:28 PM, Fishtale7 said:

I totally agree, fishing the back country on light tackle is a trip everyone should take. I spent 3 days chasing snook, reds, trout, and small tarpon two years ago. You might not catch quality fish but you will be bending a rod all day fishing those mangroves.

Another thing to consider is March brings vicious NE winds and it could get a little sporty running out to the reefs. Those Ne winds will also shut down the tarpon bite in downtown Islamorada. We got blown out, we tried with  m some mullet from mullet man but got not takers. Running across Florida Bay to fish the backcountry will protect you from the wind and fish some truly magnificent waters. 

3 mins ago, Lord Helmet said:

I totally agree, fishing the back country on light tackle is a trip everyone should take. I spent 3 days chasing snook, reds, trout, and small tarpon two years ago. You might not catch quality fish but you will be bending a rod all day fishing those mangroves.

Another thing to consider is March brings vicious NE winds and it could get a little sporty running out to the reefs. Those Ne winds will also shut down the tarpon bite in downtown Islamorada. We got blown out, we tried with  m some mullet from mullet man but got not takers. Running across Florida Bay to fish the backcountry will protect you from the wind and fish some truly magnificent waters. 

Was down there in April of 19 & 20. Both times wanted to fly fish for bones & red, but we ended up doing the Tarpon & snook thing. I enjoyed every minute of it. Winds were not that bad. Only reason we didn't do the reds or bones, was the snook & tarpon bite was to good to pass by. Also eventually want to do the permit on the fly. 

To me the best bottom fish are in the Islamorada to Marathon, There's the Cheeca  reef, caloosa rocks by channel 5. If you looking for grouper then go to back country and get a guide to take you to the rubble spots. Grouper, Jewfish, Permit and Cobia .. Good luck, take pictures

On 3/5/2021 at 6:40 PM, Rougesun said:

X2

I agree

In Key West, Brad Nowicki/Off The Rock Charters. Fished with him in Feb and landed bonita, tuna, king mackerel and yellowtail snapper. Going back in April.

On 3/7/2021 at 2:41 PM, CWitek said:

If your primary interest is bottom fishing, you might want to see what the party boat that runs out of Bud 'N Mary's at the south end of Islamorada is doing.

Over the years, there have been a couple boats there--the most recent might be the Islamorada Lady, or something like that, but I've fished on the boats a number of times, and they're a solid operation.  No, you won't do as well as you might on a charter, but depending on available dollars, the party boat might be an option on days when you'd otherwise stay on shore or can't find a captain who isn't booked (if you're having trouble finding a captain, you can also book charters out of the Bud 'N Mary's tackle shop).

The party boat at Bud 'N Mary's isn't the sort of horror show that you can run into up here.  It's a pleasant experience.  My fondest memory is being on the boat one day when a guy from New Jersey wanted to keep a short yellowtail snapper.  The mate told him to toss it back, and then the captain told him to toss it.back, and when the guy said that he paid his money to fish from the boat and could do anything he wanted with his fish, the captain gave him back the price of his fare, told him to go sit in the cabin and never set foot on the boat again.

Which, in itself, tells you how the party boats down there differ from the ones in this part of the world.

I like that !  They should do that up here