hobobob

Power Tools Pneumatic or Battery Powered.

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

23 mins ago, nightfighter said:

Depends on the tool, but moving towards batteries for many 

What are you looking at?

Recently, ratchet and sanders.  The way I see it, pneumstic has not brand platform dependant.  Hook up to a air hose and go. For life.   Battery tool are brand and platform dependent. How long your tool last will depends on battery, 5 year cycle?dont get me started on the different brands and different battery platforms, even with the same brands like milwaukee m18 & m12. I got 5 different battery systems and I am not even in the thick of it.  

Air sanders totally rock, but you need a pretty large compressor to provide the cfm. IMO basically anything running a long time continuously like a sander or grinder is better air or plugged than battery, unless mobility is an issue. Weight is also an issue, my 18ga air nailer weighs a fraction of my 18v nailer, but requires me to schlep around the pancake compressor. Basically you're getting the motor and power source out of the tool. That compressor could never run a sander btw.  Air die grinders and cutoffs also rock, and I bought an air pop riveter last year when I had a job requiring over 200 rivets. Awesome.

And I know this will draw some fire, but I've had great luck with Harbor Freight air tools. 

4 hours ago, gellfex said:

And I know this will draw some fire, but I've had great luck with Harbor Freight air tools. 

I have had great experience with their pneumatics. You shouldn't draw fire. 

Keep them oiled and they keep ticking.

HF is really increasing their tool quality on some lines that equal the big players at superior prices. 

20 hours ago, FEW3 said:

HF is really increasing their tool quality on some lines that equal the big players at superior prices. 

Not a little superior either, like 1/4 or less. The recent nailers are the sh*t, I have a 23ga pinner that I bought for like $20 that totally rocks. HF is still a crapshoot. I bought a 'dremel' that the bearings sucked so bad that a cutting disk would wobble out and bend it's shaft. But I've definitely won more than lost at that table. Sad that they discontinued the stainless fishing pliers. Mine are safely leashed.