scoobydoo

First try at invisible guide wraps

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Super easy... Read up on it a couple years ago... Bought the hitena natural thread. 

A dip of a brush in acetone and applied a light coat of finish (Gen 4) while still wet... 

Applied second coat mixed with a trace of nebula mica (green / uv purple color shift) 

Can't see it in the picture but it sparks in the sun. 

Super easy.. No different than applying regular thread outside of the 5 seconds it takes to pick up and dip a brush and put it back down. 

Pretty unique result. 

Guide pictured is a fuji Ti Torzite belly guide "micro" size 3

Spiral wrapped

Bfs build using Nfc Xray 7'2"

Went from 18 down to 11 going from standard to spiral. For no other reason than I didn't feel like wrapping a million micro guides. 

IMG_20210305_103921_245.jpg

Edited by scoobydoo

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

Bought the hitena natural thread

So Hitena's natural is good.

Have you taken the rod out into the sun?

We have silly-high UV here - what looks invisible inside the house glows like a lightsabre outside wvroom-wvoom-rrrr-skkkkk

4 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

So Hitena's natural is good.

Have you taken the rod out into the sun?

We have silly-high UV here - what looks invisible inside the house glows like a lightsabre outside wvroom-wvoom-rrrr-skkkkk

Good point...it's still drying.  

I'm going to airbrush the grip in a trout pattern...The plan was to airbrush the guide wraps lure colors....so I figured if it looked like crap it wouldn't be seen.....

I've had all this stuff lying around for too long...and if I didn't get it built now... I would never.  

Wrapped a black hole blank today and will likely build a seeker tomorrow....No clue if I'll even have the opportunity to use em. lol

FYI...I didn't forget about your PM.....This week has been a whirlwind.  Rods in my truck which in in the shop..PM incoming.

5 hours ago, Surf bomber said:

Looks good.....something different in a good way.....

Right....don't see it brought up too often....Someone mentioned it awhile back and I bought the thread.

As mentioned to ZA..if I didn't get the blanks wrapped This week....they'd collect dust for a long time.  I spiral wrapped it to save time....so I could get it on the dryer and move on to the next dusty blank..lol

...to be honest.  

I know I'm not the best wrapper or builder.

I don't claim to be one and that's why I don't sell custom rods but....

Every rod I've built has caught really large fish and has never failed me.

I take great satisfaction in my ugly rods!!!

Have fun gentlemen building your rods of your dreams!!!  Fly

7 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

FYI...I didn't forget about your PM.....This week has been a whirlwind.  Rods in my truck which in in the shop..PM incoming.

No stress Scoob. Mine too.

4 hours ago, Stuu said:

Scoob, is the blank a DS721-1 ? I’m just about to build a spinner out of that blank.

It's the ultralight xray... Whatever that model might be its a 7'2.

Its a pretty quick tip for an ultralight... I don't think I've ever used a fast action tippy ultralight labeled rod. Not sure if it's what I want for what I'm going to use of for... 

16 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

It's the ultralight xray... Whatever that model might be its a 7'2.

Its a pretty quick tip for an ultralight... I don't think I've ever used a fast action tippy ultralight labeled rod. Not sure if it's what I want for what I'm going to use of for... 

Yeah, same blank I got, X-ray DS 721-1. I got it cause it’s one of the few xf ul around. I’m going to use it exactly as it should be, for throwing lures at Snook and Juvi Tarpon !