eddiespaghetti

Spinfisher 3500SSV Hard to crank

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hello - need some expert advice. Trusty 3500SSV has become very hard to turn under any sort of load. Spins beautifully, bearings are relatively smooth, line roller good, no wobble. Can't figure this one out? Thanks for the feedback. 

Edited by eddiespaghetti

Eddiespaghetti,

I would take a look at the bearings supporting the pinion.  Put them between your fingers and press down and spin.  If the bearings feel gritty the bearings are worn and can cause the handle to be tight to turn.  Also check the rotor brake, (28D).  If it is warped or out of shape it may be coming in contact with the rotor.  Make sure the line roller is spinning freely.  Also give the rod a look and make sure the eyes aren't bent or chipped.  

Jim

I did! Greased it a little too much. Yamaha blue type grease - tore down and re lubricated - good as new! I put that reel through the ringer and it keeps ticking 

My Slammer III 4500 has the same exact issue. Sent it in to the factory in May, last I heard its going to be another 8 weeks. Hopefully a tech will call me and let me know the issue so I can share it with others.