JCH

New Tibor Backcountry

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Any thoughts?  I hate it.  Not sure how a company that turned out such beautifully designed reels can miss so badly when they add ports to the frame.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Backcountry is a model from Tibor.  I should be clear I'm speaking purely from an aesthetics POV - Tibor drags are impeccable.

This is what the old one looked like.

60425f2852092_ScreenShot2021-03-05at11_41_00AM.png.6895e414fc6022f7778242c8b7e89979.png

This is the new one:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1wSK1OxNLxww-jRwMxSXoMsAWoOdy3PtPL4PVyu2WK8KiNTblVmBSExCuL73xb6GVyzhlWUl6&usqp=CAc

Edited by JCH

2 mins ago, DAQ said:

Looks like a Ross. 

Yes. The over exaggerated porting is on just about everything these days. 

I liked the old one but never owned one. BobPop used them a lot back in the day. 

I would get one just because its a Tibor. 

They have to keep up with light reels. I have a Tibor Riptide QC. They discontinued it a few years after I bought one, and I can't find a spool anywhere. But it's significantly heavier than other reels in that class, and it's drag is getting dated when compared to others. 

Does it purr like the old one? 
I have the tailwater CL and would buy another one in a heartbeat if I could.

Keep your 20lb drags, that sound does it for me.

Tibor's drag along with Abel an other companies that still use traditional "draw bar drag" companies don't have sexy materials or "sealed" drags but they still get the job done. If you look at spinning reels those drags have not changed in years (strength has but not the design) and yet no one accuses them of not keeping up.  I don't own either Tibor or Abel but I do own several reels with their drag technologies and they are still among my favorite despite having many other reels with newer technologies.  Where new tech matters is in weight.  Not from the drag but from the machining.   Tibor is simply trying to keep up.

17 mins ago, Shakeyfly said:

They have to keep up with light reels. I have a Tibor Riptide QC. They discontinued it a few years after I bought one, and I can't find a spool anywhere. But it's significantly heavier than other reels in that class, and it's drag is getting dated when compared to others. 

Whats wrong with the drag? Being cork

I agree with @qecfly about the drag.  I've stopped a 100lb tarpon on a Riptide and people regularly fish the Gulfstream for sailfish.  

The weight?  I guess so.  You might notice the difference on the big ones, but on these little guys, I don't get the obsession with ultra light-weight reels.

For the cost of a Tibor, when compared to the new Nautilus', Hatch, Orvis, etc. It's old. It's a workhouse that will work as designed and will more than likely not fail, but from a marketing perspective and a new generation of fly fishermen, They need to keep pace if they are going to try and compete at a similar price point to something that is sealed, requires little to no maintenance etc. While I do get a kick out of opening up my reels, using graphite grease and lube, etc. Other people just want to buy a highly functioning reel and not have to mess around with it. 

As for it being light weight, a long day on the water, making hundreds of casts, add up.  Lightweight materials and lighter setups make for a more comfortable day in my opinion.