Angler #1

Bell Road AKA

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Bell Road* is back open for any one that was concerned about it being closed and bring a camera for some spectacular bird pictures. THis time of year you often will see migrating birds by the hundreds swimming around . They are tough to count at times but a challenge non the less. You could also stop for some fresh eggs and Local honey . Peace and Prayers

Edited by TimS
Carl, please don't drag Bob into your posts - I've asked you guys to ignore each other as much as possible - thanks.

Just think before to much longer should you be standing or parking at Bell road you will wittiness a schooner built in 1894 being captained by a women being used by the Massachusetts Maritime Academy under full sail . Yes the Schooner Emestine Morrissen is being refitted to train students and old form of sailing.  What a sight that will be . Peace and prayers  

On 3/5/2021 at 8:27 AM, Angler #1 said:

Bell Road* is back open for any one that was concerned about it being closed and bring a camera for some spectacular bird pictures. THis time of year you often will see migrating birds by the hundreds swimming around . They are tough to count at times but a challenge non the less. You could also stop for some fresh eggs and Local honey . Peace and Prayers

Thanks for the update Carl

I always wanted to stop for honey. Never did....

I was there today it’s pretty amazing those birds. They were diving down and getting small dark fish shaking them like hell before eating them.  Seagulls come and land on them and steal there fish.   I would have bought honey if I’d seen it.

4 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Just think before to much longer should you be standing or parking at Bell road you will wittiness a schooner built in 1894 being captained by a women being used by the Massachusetts Maritime Academy under full sail . Yes the Schooner Emestine Morrissen is being refitted to train students and old form of sailing.  What a sight that will be . Peace and prayers  

That's something I'd like to see

12 hours ago, capecodder said:

Pretty sure the ducks are common eiders. I believe they mostly eat mussels.

I’m sure your right. I always thought they ate seaweed.   However, I watched them thru binoculars for about an hour.  Some were in deeper water and not going deep.  They really looked like small dark fish. Although I can’t imagine what they might have been.   And the way they were shaking them was strange.  The seagull mugging were entertaining. 

14 hours ago, capecodder said:

AKA? The mussel bed, the flats, the railroad bridge, gossip point

We called it the mussel bed in our younger days because it was loaded with mussels. Then came the eiders and away went the mussels. 

Eiders are shellfish (mussel) eaters. Theyll hang around in large groups well into May before moving on. 

17 mins ago, Joe G said:

Is the eider one of the ducks that chefs use in some of the more exclusive restaurants to make cedar planked duck breast?

No, far from it.  Eider are borderline inedible. :laugh:

15 hours ago, capecodder said:

AKA? The mussel bed, the flats, the railroad bridge, gossip point

At times it is nice to go back into time and recall some of the local history from personal points when it comes to fishing . back in another time the flats were and still remain an active place to fish for a number of species , some more than others. LIke was mentioned here flounder fishing was once a headliner for those who walked more to the inside of the little bay formed . Not many did it, but for those who did you could still come away with a nice meal with a little work and sea worms .     Then our non favorite bird the cormorant found easy pickings and just about wiped them out through out the whole canal , even places where they had to fight  a fast current they managed over time to clean out. 

Just think of how many well known Canal Rats fished this area over the years and also some of the bickering in order to get a spot in the line of those fishing. However it also like other well known areas along the canal also brought with it other problems that have been discussed here before, that some did not want to be part of and found other places just as good along the canal to fish . Memories from the past can be refreshing as long as we put every thing in perspective to the times we may have actually fished it . 

As far as Gossip point goes , that would not be any different then other place along the canal where fishing occurs and  some decide to make up stories , no matter what they be.   If you think the gossip was bad at Bell Road , just what do you think it was at the Herring Run,Maritime Academy,   The east end Bulkhead , Pips, The Pier , just to mention a few other locations where through the decades many stories were started , in some cases the truth was left behind in order to slam a particular person some one was jealous of.                                                        Peace and Prayer

12 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

That's something I'd like to see

I also would love to be able to see with these old eyes the sailing of this ship under full sail , what a site that will be. To think at one time all of this type ship was plying our oceans , like going back into history . Peace and Prayers