Jay_paternostro

Most productive night color plug?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Depends on location for me. My jigging spot, a shade color like Arkansas shiner and pink is guarantees an absolute massacre. Other than that, blurple or a variable shade of Smokey Joe for plugging 

Let this fish tell you. This will change depending on bait present, amount of moon or ambient light, cloud cover, etc. This is why i carry way to many plugs as i have several colors of each.  I will start with lighter colors and work my way darker colors, while trying different speeds and depths to let the fish tell me what they want.  Some spots can be set in stone regarding the colors they like but to me those are more spots that have the same consistent bait and usually a predictable light source like a street or bridge light.

I dont think I've ever had a set color. One night it'll be all black, another only yellow, and then two seasons ago "wonderbread" was the ticket for like a week. I think its match the hatch or amount of light.

Everyone swears by black and blurple but then go catch most of there fish on a white bucktail. Focus more on retrieve and tides, you will see color doesn’t mean that much.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I never had a night color plug that was designated.

I use any plug anytime although 99% of my fishing is at night time doesn't matter what color.

A great all-around color I have found is dirty banana.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

During the illuminated moon phases anytime pnenefors (globby jellyfish like goop) that leaves trails on moonless nights are not visible the brightest most visible yellow color always produced the best.

On 3/5/2021 at 7:57 AM, Kooky said:

Let this fish tell you. This will change depending on bait present, amount of moon or ambient light, cloud cover, etc. This is why i carry way to many plugs as i have several colors of each.  I will start with lighter colors and work my way darker colors, while trying different speeds and depths to let the fish tell me what they want.  Some spots can be set in stone regarding the colors they like but to me those are more spots that have the same consistent bait and usually a predictable light source like a street or bridge light.

This is 100% spot on.  Color is usually irrelevant to me.  It's about what the fish can see and will target.  I have had nights where there is so much moonlight that the fish will eat a black lure one of every ten casts and then blast a chartreuse lure every single cast-because they can see it better, in my opinion.  There is no favorite color for the fisherman.  That's like the cook choosing his favorite meal for who is being served.  Some people want steak, some want pasta.