Tubthumper

Accurate pressed ARBs

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

So accurate's anti reverse clutch bearings are pressed in. (At least in my Tern 400) Has anyone removed one? I was wondering if i could do it with my bullet reloading press. I'm sure I could find a shell the right size. 

I would think you are right. Perhaps a socket of correct OD might offer better purchase than a thin-walled shell casing?

Just be careful not to lose the cylindrical pins inside the bearing when you remove it.  Once when I removed my Curado's ARB, the plastic frame came out and I dropped all 11 pins.  It was not fun looking for all those small pieces.

You can probably find a replacement bearing if you can get the old one out without ruining the side plate.   I'm not big on factory service in general, but this one might be worth sending to Accurate.  Let them screw up the side plate.

Why would they design the thing like this anyhow?  Others have had the same problem.  One more strike against Accurate.

Ive tried similar things but not on a reel.

Id suggest sticking the part in a freezer for a bit beforehand. It helps a bit.

And push on the outer bearing ring if it aint broken yet.

If push came to shove, you could knock the guts out of the bearing (plastic ring, rolling pins, cage).  Then slit the outer race in two places with a dremel bit or jewelers saw.  The rest of the outer race should pop out fairly easily.  Sort of a last resort and very tedious because that outer race is really hard material.

Go to the AlanTani site, a dedicated reel repair site, non commercial, good guys, a huge resource for just about any reel repair. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have changed Accurate ARC bearings.  I keep spares on hand.  I used a socket to press them out, then press the new one in. the final push is again done with the socket.

I have the Boss Xtreme 400s and 500s.  Total 6 reels.

BTW make sure to keep the direction of rotation correct with the replacement.

Charlie

Edited by cjmarti3