beerdoh

DIY Casting Glove

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Thought I'd share this casting glove mod. I started wearing gloves after my "casting callus" got torn off my finger one cold fall morning. I've been using these modified gloves for a couple years and they work extremely well and last multiple seasons if you have a few pairs to rotate. What you'll need:

Maxiflex Gloves

Cut Resistant Finger Cots (short ones)

E6000 Glue

You can do this with any gloves but I prefer the Maxiflex brand as they can be machine washed and dried and hold up over time. Makes for a nice lightweight summer glove. Don't buy the really thin ones as they don't hold up as well. I also did this to my Sealskin cold weather fishing gloves so they wouldn't get torn up by the braid. They have lasted 3 years and aside from stinking like fish are as good as new.

You could also use different glue but I tried a few others like Aquaseal and it dries way too stiff. The E6000 is very thin and flexible and will last the lifetime of the glove. 

TIPs:

• Insert something finger sized like a small screwdriver handle into the casting finger of the glove.
  • Smear a very thin layer of glue on the finger of the glove and slide the finger cot over it so it's in complete contact with the glove. Pull it down tight and make sure the edges are fully glued. The less glue you use the more flexible the glove will be.
  • Leave the screwdriver in the glove until the glue dries. If you don't, it will compress and be too tight.

IMG_2993.jpg

IMG_2994.jpg

A lot easier to slip a glove on. I tried hockey tape and it always shredded or came off. I recall pieces of tape sticking to my line. The gloves also provide better grip and some level of protection from fish and barnacles when rock crawling. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I can't do tape, I cannot tie a knot with tape on my forefinger. OP's reasoning may differ.

Edited by ZAFisher

3 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

I can't do tape, I cannot tie a knot with tape on my forefinger. OP's reasoning may differ.

Forgot about that one. 

Lol. I hate wearing gloves!  Unless they're fingerless. I just wrap my pad & joint not the tip.    I like leuko K tape alot.  Wicked sticky and bendy.  

Not a glove guy, never was never will be. I just don't know how you could fish with gloves on. I've tried it a few times, but just couldn't stand the feeling or lack there of. I can do the fingerless type but just not full on gloves.

Nothing wrong with old fashioned BandAid.

Or just a few wraps of their white tape.

Easy come, easy off and stays as long as you want.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I actually have been buying the three packs of gloves at homies, then the kicker ......I have the flex seal liquid and I simply dip my casting finger into the flex seal. I keep the glove on for a minute or so  until the flex seal starts to setup. The gloves hold up pretty well. I don't love fishing with gloves, but it is a necessity at certain times. I will be making my first trips in a week .. max 10 days and the water is cold.

Wearing even this thin layer of coverage allows me to tolerate the extremely cold water temps that we see early in the season.

Also I usually go to Cuttyhunk at least once a year and even in the middle of the summer I wouldn't fish the rocks there without some protection from the  barnacles and  finally onto to the fall when I fish the open beaches of the south shore of Long Island.

Even if the temps aren't cold the constant wetness of fishing the open beach absolutely mandates (at least for me because of the prune effect) wearing some sort of finger protection or glove. Again just my 2 cents..... after the initial investment for the small can of flex seal, that 3 pack of $10 gloves from homies  normally lasts me a season.. Hope that helps...

Edited by fishinthedark

I use gloves similar to that but I cut the other fingers off and I do not add anything to the casting finger. It does wear out but i get them free so what the hell

Believe it or not there was a guy at a fishing fleamarket in Jersey selling finger length pieces of an innertube from skinny tires off a 10spd. bicycle. And yes people bought them a $3 each! Including myself but just out of curiousity, it works...