Delaware surf permit

Rate this topic

Do away with the limit in sales, just limit vehicles allowed on the beach at one time. Invest additional permit fees in Assateaque style gates for each crossing.  

They make more money, decrease environmental impact, and frustrate a lot less people.

Missed out getting mine...  Makes me wonder, think they sold out last year sometime early June.  I guess everyone that missed them last year musta bought this year's tag as soon as they went on sale.  At this rate, they'll sell out even quicker next year.

I gotta agree with wok167, unlimited sales, just restrict access. And like luckyOC, can't help but think that this will place a bigger burden on AI...

An 8 oz sinker and a bunker head will only fly so far...

Got mine early January. Spend a week in north bethany oceanfront townhouse in the osv zone. Works out perfect. Everything in the truck and nobody has to carry anything.

We will go there in the summer also when AI is closed down.

Fishing sucks compared to AI but it's better than nothing.

Got mine.  Logged on as soon as I got the message.

Heres what I think happened between last year and this year.  Lots of houses were built in Sussex County.  People moved and used last year to familiarize.  This year they had residency and bought tags out of the gate.  It’s never going to go backwards.  Better get a two year or be ready.  Delaware beaches are small.  Do you know how frustrating it is to be a resident and not be able to access the state beaches?  Lines of cars and not one from DE.

5 hours ago, Kbetts said:

Got mine.  Logged on as soon as I got the message.

Heres what I think happened between last year and this year.  Lots of houses were built in Sussex County.  People moved and used last year to familiarize.  This year they had residency and bought tags out of the gate.  It’s never going to go backwards.  Better get a two year or be ready.  Delaware beaches are small.  Do you know how frustrating it is to be a resident and not be able to access the state beaches?  Lines of cars and not one from DE.

After Sandy it has gone nuts.   I say blow the bridge and the ferry.   

Delaware surf fishing tags have sold out faster each year since the introduction of the cap. Tag sales were steadily increasing in the years leading up to the cap. Then, advertisement of the cap, in and of itself, has increased demand for the permits even further. 

If DNREC continues with the cap, we will reach a point where permits sell out in the first week or even day. 

At this point, if DNREC wants to keep the cap, they will be forced to go with a lottery system. 

In a lottery system, the percentage tag holders, of, what we here would consider fishermen, will drop substantially. Our voices in decision making would, likewise, be reduced. 

While Assateaque has issues with beach capacity limits and "one on-one off", at least as a fisherman I have the opportunity to come early morning, off season, or during inclement weather and have a chance of vehicle access for fishing. If we cannot get a tag, we have no chance of access.

I bought my two year Delaware tag in December, the morning of the very first day they went on sale. I don't hold hope doing the same for my 2023 tag will work. 

I’m a DE native and grew up on one of our southern bay beaches.  Been going to the ocean in DE forever.  You aren’t catching much of anything in the ocean, in the summer.  Maybe some tiny stuff or a shark or skate, but 95% of the time, the chances of a decent catch are very minimal. It’s a wasteland.  Spring and fall may be a little different, but I’m talking “beach” weather.  

I get the “only for surf fishing” thing, but really there are not a ton of people making DE a destination for drive on surf fishing.  The majority of the drive on population are putting the kids in the truck and throwing a line with no expectations.  It’s what it is and always will be in Delaware.  To catch fish, you go somewhere else.