Early season schoolie tackle

Rate this topic

codfish

For years I made the mistake of fishing for early season schoolies using scaled-down appropriately sized tackle. Catching was not the issue, I caught exactly what I was fishing for. Thankfully I eventually realized I'd do better to start the season with exactly the same tackle and techniques I'd use later in the season. Big plugs, rigged eels and heavier tackle early in the season caught much bigger fish during the exact time period I was formerly complacent catching schoolies.

3 hours ago, Strat said:

Wait until the adult fish show. And please, ditch the trebles and crush your singles if you must harass the babies.

I can't wait for the first chest-thumping post with pictures of 16" babies here and on FB.

Congratulations, bro. 

That argument doesn’t even make sense. Which do you think is more likely to die after release, a schoolie that takes 30 seconds to reel in and a quick release or a large fish that takes 10 minutes to reel in and then has a five minute photo shoot out of the water?

On 3/15/2021 at 7:46 AM, SC said:

For years I made the mistake of fishing for early season schoolies using scaled-down appropriately sized tackle. Catching was not the issue, I caught exactly what I was fishing for. Thankfully I eventually realized I'd do better to start the season with exactly the same tackle and techniques I'd use later in the season. Big plugs, rigged eels and heavier tackle early in the season caught much bigger fish during the exact time period I was formerly complacent catching schoolies.

Thanks for sharing:)

18 hours ago, oldgoat said:

I'm not taken sides ,I've fished 16" fish when legal and commercial for cows.

Gave up commercial two years ago not worth measuring when every fish was within an inch of legal.

How about fishen without any hook and enjoy the short run before they let go.

Think about it.

Funny you mention that I rigged up a few lures that I cut the hook off of, Pictures to follow:)