codfish

Early season schoolie tackle

Rate this topic

235 posts in this topic

Hi JohnySmoke.

I hope you don't (smoke that is) and that you are a ribs or fish smoker. Yum.

Anyway, I've never seen a chickenscratch soft bait shad. That looks awesome. Did you make it yourself? If not, who makes that?  I'm not sure if it makes that much of a difference, but it definitely should make one more confident to stick it out just a little longer and try one more time.

I've got a bunch of shad, but they have built in weights (not the jig heads). I'm gonna try those. And the Yozuris are expensive, so I stick with Rapalas.

One month and 10 days to go..... carpniels

1 hour ago, Carpniels said:

Hi JohnySmoke.

I hope you don't (smoke that is) and that you are a ribs or fish smoker. Yum.

Anyway, I've never seen a chickenscratch soft bait shad. That looks awesome. Did you make it yourself? If not, who makes that?  I'm not sure if it makes that much of a difference, but it definitely should make one more confident to stick it out just a little longer and try one more time.

I've got a bunch of shad, but they have built in weights (not the jig heads). I'm gonna try those. And the Yozuris are expensive, so I stick with Rapalas.

One month and 10 days to go..... carpniels

Wife just got us a smoker last fall, it's the only smoking I can handle nowadays. Smoked bluefish is good. Smoked ribs are even better. 

The chicken scratch is by Al Gags. I'm not really sure how well this pattern actually works except for separating me from my cash. The silver pearl and white has worked very well for me in the past. My local shop stocked up on a lot of new Al Gags patterns, and I'm like a moth to the flame this time of year. I better fish hard this year and start loosing and wearing stuff out to justify what I've got stashed away. 

The mag darter is also very productive for me at my local spot.

I picked up two Rapalas x-raps, I'm excited to try them out. I'm hoping some holdovers will start stirring next week with the warmer weather. I'm going to try to get out and get a line wet 

On 3/4/2021 at 5:33 PM, albacized said:

Although they're a soft plastic, albie snax can be worked almost like a jumping minnow... but without all the trebles. These are also good for early spring stripers....especially if they're up on the warmer shallows of some back bays and rivers

I've had some incredible schoolie action on albie snax.

3 hours ago, johnysmoke said:

Wife just got us a smoker last fall, it's the only smoking I can handle nowadays. Smoked bluefish is good. Smoked ribs are even better. 

The chicken scratch is by Al Gags. I'm not really sure how well this pattern actually works except for separating me from my cash. The silver pearl and white has worked very well for me in the past. My local shop stocked up on a lot of new Al Gags patterns, and I'm like a moth to the flame this time of year. I better fish hard this year and start loosing and wearing stuff out to justify what I've got stashed away. 

The mag darter is also very productive for me at my local spot.

I picked up two Rapalas x-raps, I'm excited to try them out. I'm hoping some holdovers will start stirring next week with the warmer weather. I'm going to try to get out and get a line wet 

What sizes did you pick up?

20 hours ago, RAW said:

The Havoc grass pigs are great for schoolies and when sand eels appear. They show up as translucent with blue metallic. Worked awesome for snook on the flats. Cigars do help!IMG_0178.JPG.33057631640a5554862e225cb37cb79f.JPG

IMG_0182.jpg

:)nice:)

20 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

Tell you what....put a white curly tail grub on that bucktail and i could fish these two selections for a better part of the year !!

Wouldn't even need a belt, bag or pouch to carry :th:

Curly tail grubs "never leave home with out them:)"

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 3/4/2021 at 8:20 AM, Ba Ba Buoy said:

Jumpin_Minnow_new.jpg

You can’t go wrong with Jumpin Minnows. Also, Smack It’s are standard back bay

I picked up the smaller Sebile below for specks down south and going to try this bigger one for early stripers, ~ 1oz.

anyone tried them?

6B5BE1CC-8A99-41BE-958B-F1CAF462C3D5.jpeg

EBB02156-F4FC-4C60-89C5-F6977A08AD41.jpeg

Edited by Jason B

12 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

I got a 3/8oz 2 inch pearl silver, it looks a little small, maybe good for early season schoolies or some freshwater. 

Everything else is either 3/4oz 3 inch or 1oz 4 inch in size. These two sizes in pearl and pearl silver have worked really well for me, although I'm a newbie and mostly catching schoolies where I fish, so take that into consideration. 

18 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

D'oh the Rapalas. Rapalas x-raps long cast. SXRLS12 and SXRLS14.

One is 5 1/2 and 1 3/4oz, the other 4 3/4 and 1 1/4oz.

20210306_153329.jpg

1 hour ago, johnysmoke said:

20210306_153329.jpg

do these sink, and if so how fast? 

1 hour ago, johnysmoke said:

20210306_153329.jpg

:)nice:)

On 3/4/2021 at 8:28 AM, Ba Ba Buoy said:

The venerable rebel jumpin' minnow, a true schoolie magnet! I usually use bone but these new colors are pretty sweet too.

Just picked a few Blue Candy and Moon Spot last week, they look sweet. This plug is definately not just for schoolies! One of my go to’s for sure!

6 hours ago, johnysmoke said:

20210306_153329.jpg

I thought you were talking the regular saltwater x-raps.  I have these two size long casts also......tell me, can you get these to cast well?  For some reason, these tumble on me.  I’ll have to try casting these on several rods see if that’s the problem.... :shrug:

9 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

I thought you were talking the regular saltwater x-raps.  I have these two size long casts also......tell me, can you get these to cast well?  For some reason, these tumble on me.  I’ll have to try casting these on several rods see if that’s the problem.... :shrug:

I just got them. Will try and get them wet sometime soon and let you know how it goes.