codfish

Early season schoolie tackle

Rate this topic

235 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, codfish said:

albie snax:)  Good advise, not a fan of treble hooks:eek:

Ditto on that !!

I love using flies in the spring estuaries because they are small and stay suspended. Slow strips and let the fibers breath in the current.

1 hour ago, squidder 329 said:

Wells is a beautiful place if it weren't for the snow and cold you get I'd be there. That's where the Rachael Carlson Preserve as I recall very nice place. In the top pic are you ocean front or backwater?

That's Bokeelia Fl. fishing for snook and trout 1/4 mile to Boca Grande pass. The 2nd pic is a pond that accesses to open water.Just full of snook. 23 in one night on the grass pig.  Any where near the Rachael Carson preserve is great fishing with all the little tidal creek out flows

30 mins ago, johnysmoke said:

Hopefully won't be long now. 

20210305_104050.jpg

The storm soft bait and the Kastmaster are 50% go to

2 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

Tell you what....put a white curly tail grub on that bucktail and i could fish these two selections for a better part of the year !!

Wouldn't even need a belt, bag or pouch to carry :th:

Light is right!  

I've got a buttload of white grubs coming.  

I’ll start with Strike King 4 inch glass minnow in opening night color on a 3/8 or 1/2 oz DOA jig head. I’ll keep using it all year for inshore schoolies.

3 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

Tell you what....put a white curly tail grub on that bucktail and i could fish these two selections for a better part of the year !!

Wouldn't even need a belt, bag or pouch to carry :th:

Ive done really well with the 3 inch fat cow rind on the back in either white or red 

I dont see amyone talking about swim shads, are the soft plastics on jigheads really that much more effective than a tsunami or storm shad? I do alright wuth them but maybe i don't know what I'm missing with those jig heads/plastics.

3 hours ago, RAW said:

The storm soft bait and the Kastmaster are 50% go to

I really like the kastmasters. Used to fish them as a teenager, kind of takes me back when I first start throwing them. 

28 mins ago, Jefffahfffah said:

I dont see amyone talking about swim shads, are the soft plastics on jigheads really that much more effective than a tsunami or storm shad? I do alright wuth them but maybe i don't know what I'm missing with those jig heads/plastics.

small molded shads catch, but I have a difficult time working them in moving surf or inlets.

19 mins ago, johnysmoke said:

I really like the kastmasters. Used to fish them as a teenager, kind of takes me back when I first start throwing them. 

Amazing how in an era where we have a zillion new metals and tins....this tried and tested 1 oz. version with a single bucktail hook still shines at times above the rest :th:

4 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

Amazing how in an era where we have a zillion new metals and tins....this tried and tested 1 oz. version with a single bucktail hook still shines at times above the rest :th:

Still my favorite. I've caught fish all the way to the keys. Fresh & salt on kastmasters.  Thru the ice as well.  

18 mins ago, GarbageFish said:

small molded shads catch, but I have a difficult time working them in moving surf or inlets.

That makes sense, tough to work them well with a kot of water movement. The river where i typically use them is pretty slow and shallow which probably makes it easier.