PSegnatelli

Jig. Bucktail or soft plastic?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Which would you pick?

As I'm sitting here drinking coffee and thinking of the past.  

Growing up, I was kinda on my own alot.  I bought or found most of my own tackle from Kmart or Ames.   One staple was the jig & curly tail grub. No one I knew used bucktails, my uncle used 1 lure. Gold Phoebe.  My neighbors used sandworms. That was it. 

Up until the early 2000s I never fished a bucktail. Fresh or saltwater.  And I don't think I ever really started using them til 8-10years ago. 

Everyone always says "If I had one lure, it'd be a bucktail..."  But is that because good plastics weren't invented yet?? And is it just one of those phrases that will live on forever even though other things have come along?

I definitely see myself using less bucktails because I LOVE adding bait to them.  And that's over for now.   Maybe I'll find my happy place with a combo of both BT & rubber. 

But I think I'd would pick the jig & grub.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

For year maybe fifty I have been using bucktails and found them to be very productive. I also found diamond jigs, jig heads with rubber shads or grubs attached caught many large fish over the years..  The trick to catching fish is just to keep the lure moving... 

Some truth and some tales I guess. I think the BT hair makes the jig look alive but who knows. I read long ago being unable to get bait a handkerchief was used. Remember as well there were more fish around then as well. 

The best thing about bucktails is they catch. The next best thing is you don't need to be nice to bucktails.

Plastics are great but slap them on the water to clear weeds you are re rigging, rip it threw weeds , catch a fish new plastic or re rig.

Our fish around here are weird sometimes. They will go part of the year where they will favor hair and won’t hardly touch plastic if at all, and visa-versa. A month ago it was all about 3/8 head and small fluke. Now, if it ain’t hair, they don’t care, well at least until it gets dark :niffty:

I like both. Prefer a jig and soft plastic early in the year but the bucktail is my go-to after that cuz the hair helps keep the plastics on the bucktail on longer thanks to the hair

4 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Which would you pick?

As I'm sitting here drinking coffee and thinking of the past.  

Growing up, I was kinda on my own alot.  I bought or found most of my own tackle from Kmart or Ames.   One staple was the jig & curly tail grub. No one I knew used bucktails, my uncle used 1 lure. Gold Phoebe.  My neighbors used sandworms. That was it. 

Up until the early 2000s I never fished a bucktail. Fresh or saltwater.  And I don't think I ever really started using them til 8-10years ago. 

Everyone always says "If I had one lure, it'd be a bucktail..."  But is that because good plastics weren't invented yet?? And is it just one of those phrases that will live on forever even though other things have come along?

I definitely see myself using less bucktails because I LOVE adding bait to them.  And that's over for now.   Maybe I'll find my happy place with a combo of both BT & rubber. 

But I think I'd would pick the jig & grub.  

The grub and jighead combo is the most versatile to me. They seem to work well in most scenarios, in most places, at most times of the year and for a wide range of fish. There are times when a bucktail makes sense and works very well too. 99% of those times I use mine with the same white grub on the hook. That tells me something.

I feel that when using a shad soft tail and adding a jig to it is just like fishing a soft tail with a weight in front of it.

Why use your jig head?  Save it for later.   Bullet head or barrel weight is a lot cheaper. 

Fluke ball or buck tail tipped with some curly bait w with a dropper loop with a teaser fly or a simple hook and bait will catch most summertime fish from the beech....fun for the kids

IMHO - compared to a bucktail and to a   Kastmaster, sometimes a Tsunami Swim Shad seems like cheating.  

TheTauntonRiverRunner:

Funny coincidence. I am just getting near the end of my first Charlie Soares book.  All I know about your river is that, in the 60’s, the family needed to get past Fall River before the factories let-out on our way to the Cape. 
I knew that most anyone who ‘liked’ my post about Swim Shads would probably fish a river.  I still carry my previous love, blurple SPMinnow, but I toss the rubber.  

23 mins ago, Paul E said:

TheTauntonRiverRunner:

Funny coincidence. I am just getting near the end of my first Charlie Soares book.  All I know about your river is that, in the 60’s, the family needed to get past Fall River before the factories let-out on our way to the Cape. 
I knew that most anyone who ‘liked’ my post about Swim Shads would probably fish a river.  I still carry my previous love, blurple SPMinnow, but I toss the rubber.  

Yes, they work well on the Taunton in the spring - Storm shads in particular. Might have to give the blurple SP a shot! I have a bone SP that hasn't produced anything for me.

Posted (edited) · Report post

When I first started as a surfcaster I fished plastics a lot. Then I stopped and switched to bucktails.

I will never go back. I sold all my plastics.

Back when I switched there were a lot more bluefish around and I couldnt stand the waste.  Even now they just not as durable as a bucktail I have bucktails that are over 4 seasons old.

Bucktails:

1. cast further -less wind resistance

2. are more durable.

3. come in more weight configurations - critical difference.

4. hook gape difference as noted below in the pic- the bigger the fish you target...the more important this is.

RYQq4jzYk1VE9KM918zygGd4LUAMjsDDSLN5xitkL-ugBCKbccF_g8Ev0ONdeOzV10YjUiEfK2fPdaD-rEhh635qXSmip-2U7mmpUjAhz7uKtSDGhnWvmtNjPcSc68P408gwqBe_

For pork substitutes look at this link:

It is not that plastics don't work or have their own advantages....they do. 

But they are also landfill and do not degrade. 

I hate seeing them washed up. 

Bucktails in the ocean will degrade within weeks.

and there is also this pic.... I wonder what happened there? 

I guess they cannot be digested....think about that one in this fishery.

striperPaddle.jpg

Edited by puppet