cityevader

Hook-hold difference?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

When using bait (with a rod in a pvc spike :rav:) is there any difference between different hook shapes for holding a fish on the line i.e. less chance of it shaking loose?

I understand the benefits of circle hooks but am curious if their shape also helps to prevent a "shake off" before the rod can be properly handled (during distracted fishing, plugging with another rod) compared to J-hooks.

I typically don't use circle hooks for two reasons, the rod is in my hands throughout, and sand crabs are hard and block the throat(?) of the hook preventing proper rotation into the lip.

Oh yeah, the target fish in this instance is small- Perch if that matters...although the random Striper might pass by soon.

16 mins ago, cityevader said:

When using bait,

is there any difference between different hook shapes for holding a fish on the line i.e. less chance of it shaking loose?

I don't know about hooks but I know that any hooks works better on Rockaway rods

:howdy:

:point:

12 mins ago, cityevader said:

I understand the benefits of circle hooks but am curious if their shape also helps to prevent a "shake off" before the rod can be properly handled (during distracted fishing, plugging with another rod)

That's basically what circle hooks were designed for... Hands off fishing.. you think long liners are holding a line and waiting for hits? And your sure as hell not setting a hook in 800' of water on a big tile.. circle hooks are designed to hook the fish and hold the fish until you come along and reel it in... 

16 mins ago, cityevader said:

sand crabs are hard and block the throat(?) of the hook preventing proper rotation into the lip.

Bridle your bait.. imo bait doesn't belong on the circle hook, it belongs below it.. there are many reasons for this, but if done right it's basically fool proof..

If your not familliar, use the search and check some of the many circle hook threads in the past several weeks 

I've seen quite a few videos on bridling- all with giant baits. 

I honestly haven't done any mental exercise (yet) for scaling it down enormously in size.

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, cityevader said:

I've seen quite a few videos on bridling- all with giant baits. 

I honestly haven't done any mental exercise (yet) for scaling it down enormously in size.

Works the same, regardless of bait size.. smaller hook, smaller bait.. you can bridle a kernel of corn if you choose to (they do,for carp).. 

Edited by Beachglass Guru

I use bait holder hook if crabs are around to shake off bait. Other than that, circle hook is my go-to hook for bait.

Circle hooks, provided that they're sized appropriately, will hold a stuck fish better than anything else.

If they're too small, they won't always wrap around in the corner of the jaw the way that they're supposed to, and so can pull free.  But assuming that circle hook grabs the corner of mouth the way it's designed to, it's not going anywhere.  I've used them in multiple fisheries, from light bottom fishing in the Florida surf to shark, sturgeon and halibut, and have always been impressed by their effectiveness.

For the past number of years I have been using circle hooks and most of the time with crushed barbs.. Size 4 for Porgies and size 8/0 to 10/0 for Stripers..