Mandoborg

What size rotary file for eyes ?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Hey folks, I was wondering if anyone could recommend what size rotary file for recessed eyes ? I use mostly 3/8 and 1/2 inch eyes. Thinking  maybe the 5/8 file ? Can one size file accommodate both size eyes by controlling the depth of the recess is also a question.

Thanks in advance for any input !!

Jim

Posted (edited) · Report post

Unless I am misunderstanding your question most guys I know use a forstner bit or a brad point. I use a ball rasp if I want to bevel the edge of the eye socket. So if I used a 3/8" forstner I would bevel the edge with a half inch rasp.

Edited by BassAssasin

Absolutely  right Bass Assasin !!  I worded that like a bozo !! But you got it. I was indeed referring to the ' cupped' eye socket and not the actual forstner hole for the eye itself. Thanks !! Ordering a 1/2 inch now !  :th:

Jim

On 3/3/2021 at 6:09 PM, Mandoborg said:

Hey folks, I was wondering if anyone could recommend what size rotary file for recessed eyes ? I use mostly 3/8 and 1/2 inch eyes. Thinking  maybe the 5/8 file ? Can one size file accommodate both size eyes by controlling the depth of the recess is also a question.

Thanks in advance for any input !!

Jim

I use a spot facer. They are made to cut close tolerance holes in aluminum but work well for this. It has a pilot pin or bit in the center. Don’t use it without one. As the glass eyes are on a wire it works quite well.

I do use a jig fixture to hold the plug in place on my drill press and found a high speed reduces tearout.

5F6B500F-E59F-451E-9959-38A65CBD8539.jpeg

4F0D240B-DDBD-4487-A2FA-857F18F0D5B7.jpeg

Edited by Jim in WA
Added better pic of cutting face

I went and wasted $15 on one like this. No matter what speed I ran it at, or how slow the feed, it chattered and vibrated like hell and just tore the s**t out of the wood. Next time I'm going to drill the eyes FIRST so if I screw it up, I haven't wasted all the time drilling all the other holes and cutting the lip slot !!  :mad:  Maybe I'll just stick with the regular eyes sockets and leave the fancy ones to the other guys !!!  Better yet, keep em  blind !!  :laugh:

J

file.jpg

Yeah, that ball rasp is tough to not screw up the socket. I switched to rounding the eye socket with an 1 1/2” diameter sanding wheel. It mounts to the drill press and I steady the plug with a v-notch block.  

20 hours ago, Mandoborg said:

I went and wasted $15 on one like this. No matter what speed I ran it at, or how slow the feed, it chattered and vibrated like hell and just tore the s**t out of the wood. Next time I'm going to drill the eyes FIRST so if I screw it up, I haven't wasted all the time drilling all the other holes and cutting the lip slot !!  :mad:  Maybe I'll just stick with the regular eyes sockets and leave the fancy ones to the other guys !!!  Better yet, keep em  blind !!  :laugh:

J

file.jpg

You need a less aggressive ball rasp or a better quality for eyes. Especially if you are using soft wood. I use one thats similar to what you have pictured and it works fine but it was more expensive. You could also try a  good quality countersink bit with  five or more flutes. I have used them in the past as well. Eel punt, who did the beveled eye thing on his plugs used a ball rasp. I would imagine Beachmaster probably does as well. High speed sharp bit. You didn't waste your 15$ , you can use it for poppers.

Edited by BassAssasin

22 hours ago, capesams said:

I use something like   that but it's beveled on the sides at a 45* for eye sockets...has a flat center for eye's to sit in.

You mind posting a picture of that?

5 hours ago, moocks said:

Kutzall Spherical Burr. Very good control. Bigger sizes good for popper cups too.

Moocks, I'll give the Kutzall a try. A couple of questions  before ordering one though. 1. Should I  get the fine one ? This course one looks pretty aggressive, but that could just be the picture and it cuts fine. I just don't want a bunch of trenches to clean up. 2. I notice for a 1/4 inch shaft they only make it in 1 inch . I should still be able to do 3/8 eye sockets no problem right ? Just stay shallow..

Curious to see capesams' cutter before ordering as well..... 

Thanks for all the help and advice guys ! Maybe I'm not giving up on this idea so fast !!  :th:

Jim

Edited by Mandoborg

That's interesting, may have to get me one of those. Sorta like a flat bottom countersink. Thanks for posting.

Edited by BassAssasin