FEW3

Lyme Vaccine

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Actually not a vaccine.

The doctor created a ‘pre-exposure prophylaxis’ (PrEP) that delivers anti-Lyme antibodies directly to a patient. PrEPs are unlike vaccines, which trigger the patient’s immune system to produce antibodies. Instead, PrEPs supply antibodies directly. The shot would kill the bacteria from a tick bite before a person would be infected. Patients would need to be inoculated every year as the shot’s effectiveness would last for nine months.

8 mins ago, ged said:

There was a vaccine in the 1990’s

Yes, i was part of an experimental study and rec'd the vaccine,  in 2008 I had Lyme disease, was lucky and had an early diagnosis and treatment .

1 min ago, FizzyFish said:

Yes, i was part of an experimental study and rec'd the vaccine,  in 2008 I had Lyme disease, was lucky and had an early diagnosis and treatment .

I had it bad a few times.

Last time was this summer. Thought it was covid. Extreme fatigue, muscle aches, fever, chills, loss of appetite. Doxy is a game changer. 

13 mins ago, ged said:

Last time was this summer. Thought it was covid. Extreme fatigue, muscle aches, fever, chills, loss of appetite. Doxy is a game changer. 

Doxy sure is.  the price when i had Lyme in 2008  was $ 7 for a 28 day supply.   a couple years ago i took it for 14 day as a prophylaxis abd it was something like $80.  generic drug both times.  :dismay:

2 hours ago, z-man said:

It sounds similar to the Lyme vaccine my dog gets. 

doesn't work in dogs either, but vets keep on recomending it.

13 hours ago, ged said:

Any recurrences since the summer? It's the long term consequences that are scary to me, especially debilitating joint pain.

Both times I tested positive, it was early and doxy solved it. 

14 hours ago, ged said:

Wow I didnt realize you can get Lyme disease multiple times. The only real bushwhacking I do is at the Chu but its not much bush whacking honestly, and I am lucky to have never gotten it

10 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Wow I didnt realize you can get Lyme disease multiple times. The only real bushwhacking I do is at the Chu but its not much bush whacking honestly, and I am lucky to have never gotten it

I have been confirmed with Lyme at least 6 times

22 hours ago, FizzyFish said:

Actually not a vaccine.

The doctor created a ‘pre-exposure prophylaxis’ (PrEP) that delivers anti-Lyme antibodies directly to a patient. PrEPs are unlike vaccines, which trigger the patient’s immune system to produce antibodies. Instead, PrEPs supply antibodies directly. The shot would kill the bacteria from a tick bite before a person would be infected. Patients would need to be inoculated every year as the shot’s effectiveness would last for nine months.

Yes, it's not a " vaccine" in the traditional sense, and as stated in the article protection is just 9 months. I would think that only specific individuals would bother with getting the Vax.