ReelPeeler

TA clips and Metal lips

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

So last night tossing a small jig man pikie and it gets hammered. Get fish to the bank, go to pull it up and leader goes slack. Fish rolls once and there it goes along with my pikie :beatin:
I was using a 50lb TA with it. Thinking about it this morning, I tie another 50lb on and slip a peanut pikie on and notice the knot and the very end of the metal lip touch. Should I be using a 75 instead of the 50? First I’ve had this happen. I’m assuming the lip caught the knot just right and gillitened it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

With plugs I try to use 75 or bumo up to 125 lb.

I'll use 50 lb. when tossing smaller soft plastics and bucktails on lighter tackle.

Edited by Italianbuca

1 min ago, Italianbuca said:

With plugs I try to use 75 or bumo up to 125 lb.

I'll use 50 lb. when tossing smaller soft plastics and bucktails on lighter tackle.

I’m gonna order some 75 I think. I throw a lot of small stuff also and the 50 is great for that.  The only thing I could reall get them to hit last night was a small pikie or BM spin. They was flat out blasting it. 50lb was all I had with me.

Even the 125# will deform.

I hate loosing plugs as a result of clips.  Sometimes it is user error.

One note about all clips and plugs with special note of metallips.

Clips add freedom of movement. I feel that all plugs that swim  act different enough with a clip vs. direct tie to consider fishing them both if the fish do not react to presentations with clips. 

23 mins ago, puppet said:

Even the 125# will deform.

Clips add freedom of movement. I feel that all plugs that swim  act different enough with a clip vs. direct tie to consider fishing them both if the fish do not react to presentations with clips. 

The 50 will deform on a catch 5 with the screw eye being too thick.

ill keep what you said below in mind, as far as direct tying. Our fish has been on that tiny bait for a while now. Sometime in the past 2 or 3 days they switched up, finally. Below is the box of sacrifice tonite. I’m gonna catch something on the jr yet

73481C9D-F127-4624-A207-81E7FDF412B0.jpeg.2fa6bf33230f0b67be1fe5516d2a40c9.jpeg

32 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

It happens from time to time. Sometimes the fish get it just right and the plug pops out of the clip like magic. 

Had a catfish twist one of my magdarters off one night. Still got it in due to the clip being lodged in the corner of its mouth. 

Whenever the size presentation allows, I switch a TA clip for a swivel and split ring.

Not as quick n' easy - but secure and generally doesn't harm plug action.

1 min ago, Saltfruit said:

Whenever the size presentation allows, I switch a TA clip for a swivel and split ring.

Not as quick n' easy - but secure and generally doesn't harm plug action.

I’ll keep this in mind also

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 mins ago, ReelPeeler said:

The 50 will deform on a catch 5 with the screw eye being too thick.

ill keep what you said below in mind, as far as direct tying. Our fish has been on that tiny bait for a while now. Sometime in the past 2 or 3 days they switched up, finally. Below is the box of sacrifice tonite. I’m gonna catch something on the jr yet

The bm junior is a fantastic plug.  I have one of those and a GRS in my bag nearly all season. 

Nice plugs you have there.  My note about the direct tie specifically relates to GRS.  Gary originally designed that plug for direct tie, and I suspect a lot of legacy metal lip forms may also have been tested and designed with a direct tie. They can be fished with success either way, but definitely try it with and without in the daylight to see the variance and potential utility..   Sometimes less motion of a direct tie is the ticket to convert bass.

If bass are on small baits definitely get some bucktails out there.  1/2 - 3/4 oz.

Edited by puppet

2 mins ago, puppet said:

The bm junior is a fantastic plug.  I have one of those and a GRS in my bag nearly all season. 

Nice plugs you have there.  My note about the direct tie specifically relates to GRS.  Gary originally designed that plug for direct tie, and I suspect a lot of legacy metal lip forms may also have been tested and designed with a direct tie. They can be fished with success either way, but definitely try it with and without in the daylight to see the variance and potential utility..   Sometimes less motion of a direct tie is the ticket to convert bass.

If bass are on small baits definitely get some bucktails out there.  1/2 - 3/4 oz.

Didn’t know that about the GRS.  I carry one of his jrs with me knowing  that sooner or later something’s gonna grab it Just see a lot of guys on here catch on them. 

I throw a lot of 1/4 to 1/2 bucktail this time of year and do well. 3/16 depending on where I’m at. It all about the float with little to no extra movement. These metal lips I’m fishing painfully slow right now.

1 hour ago, ReelPeeler said:

Had a catfish twist one of my magdarters off one night. Still got it in due to the clip being lodged in the corner of its mouth. 

Surfcasting pro. Don’t even need hooks

2 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

Surfcasting pro. Don’t even need hooks

Funny story, down there one night throwing some lucky craft suspending plug. First hit, set the hook, fish is on maybe 6 or 7 seconds then gone. Really really dark night. Throw out again, good hit and I miss. This goes on 3 or 4 more times. At this point, I reel back up and cut my light on to see if I can figure out what’s going on. That first fish had taken the hooks off that plug. All I could do was chuckle. From then on just about every plug I had got a split ring change.

32 mins ago, ReelPeeler said:

Funny story, down there one night throwing some lucky craft suspending plug. First hit, set the hook, fish is on maybe 6 or 7 seconds then gone. Really really dark night. Throw out again, good hit and I miss. This goes on 3 or 4 more times. At this point, I reel back up and cut my light on to see if I can figure out what’s going on. That first fish had taken the hooks off that plug. All I could do was chuckle. From then on just about every plug I had got a split ring change.

Haha I forgot to take the plastic hook covers off one time on my guppy pencil and couldn’t understand why I wasnt hooking up on fish for about an hour. Looked at it finally and took ten off but by that time the fish moved on.