BigBlueRam

FSC 967 Help

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Looking for a little guidance here on my first rod build. I am pretty mechanically inclined and would like to start building rods for myself and others when I get good enough. I've been doing research for quite some time and ready to tackle it. I have been reading up on everything, rod guides in particular though are absolutely mind numbing. All of the sizes and letters have me just completely lost at times. I've read up on the New Concept and KR concept for layouts, but I am kind of at the point where I have a decent idea on what I think it should be, but not 100% sure. I also understand how to take the reel measurements for the guides for the most part. Is it uncommon to just order a ton of guides to get me started versus ordering just what I think I need for a particular build ? 

If possible I'd love to pick someone's brain about the FSC 967 build in particular if they built one themselves. I plan on using a Salt X 4000 with 20 or 30lb braid. I'd prefer double foot guides because I will be fishing rocks and will having it with me in the Jeep at basically all times for before/after work. I'm a huge fan of the Fiberstars and have a few others, hoping they return back this Spring. 

Thanks !

Joe

Well I haven't used that specific blank, but if I was in a Jeep, I wanted to give myself a better that even chance of the blank getting to me still whole and if I wanted to save a bunch of money on shipping that blank I'd be looking at the Rainshadow SW 967 F, 2 piece blank, it's my "everything" rod and had held up well for 15+ years. Sure is a bunch easier to keep in my Jeep, or truck.

29 mins ago, spoonplugger1 said:

Well I haven't used that specific blank, but if I was in a Jeep, I wanted to give myself a better that even chance of the blank getting to me still whole and if I wanted to save a bunch of money on shipping that blank I'd be looking at the Rainshadow SW 967 F, 2 piece blank, it's my "everything" rod and had held up well for 15+ years. Sure is a bunch easier to keep in my Jeep, or truck.

I have roof racks but 120 miles round trip on the parkway everyday I'd rather keep it in the truck with the seats down. I like to just grab the rod when I get to the spot and put it back when im done instead of disassembling and reassembling everytime I switch spots.

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 hours ago, BigBlueRam said:

Is it uncommon to just order a ton of guides to get me started versus ordering just what I think I need for a particular build ? 

It's exactly what I would suggest you do.

Edited by ZAFisher

9 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

It's exactly what I would suggest you do.

I finally did this.  I have quite a few sets already. Its not really expensive when you consider time lost and shipping when you "messed up" your guide train order.

17 hours ago, spoonplugger1 said:

This!

Spoonplugger is dead ON

I LOVE the Batson 967F blank. I built the original for me and have built one each for my boys. I have beat the snot out of mine, fished everything from 5" mambo minnows to mack chunks & eels.

Its my go to for paddle board fishing. It can stand the abuse.   My original has a MW20 microwave set, I gave it to my oldest last year. My youngest son's has "K" guides double foot which is over kill but what he wanted and my latest has a MW25 set. .

4 hours ago, SurffisherMike said:

ZA didnt tell you he has a rod building problem did he

Lol I'll tell you what, everytime I searched a particular aspect to rod building, from grips to reel seats, I see he commented. He looks like a boat load of great information and I have some of his responses bookmarked. 

Thank you gentlemen. Sorry for getting back to everyone late.. CRAZY week at work going on. But I did manage to order a ton of different sized guides to have on hand. The x27 rule seems to make the most sense to me, so I'll give that a shot when the guides come in. Thanks for all the help ! 

8 hours ago, SurffisherMike said:

ZA didnt tell you he has a rod building problem did he

We have a problem, Mike. We. Har!