6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've got cabin fever.  I just ordered some European Nightcrawlers,  some small bobbers,
put a couple of rods & reels,  a net, and my fishing bag in my trunk.  I'm ready!
I live on Long Island and I'm old,  so I am looking for some easy access spots to fish from shore.
Any suggestions?

Edited by ShilohRon

1 hour ago, ShilohRon said:

I've got cabin fever.  I just ordered some European Nightcrawlers,  some small bobbers,
put a couple of rods & reels,  a net, and my fishing bag in my trunk.  I'm ready!
I live on Long Island and I'm old,  so I am looking for some easy access spots to fish from shore.
Any suggestions?

They'll be stocking trout near the end of March.  Don't knoiw where you are; I'm in Babylon, and March--maybe around the  25th, give or take a few days--brings out the crowds on all the impoundments along the Carlls River, and on the public stretches of stream in between.  The same waters have yellow perch, sunfish, bass, pickerel, etc. to play with before and after the state arrives to feed the ospreys and cormorants, but I'm not sure how accessible they are at this time of year.  Parking at the three impoundments is decent, with Argyle Lake probably the easiest, and Southards Pond calling for the longest walk.

Posted (edited) · Report post

15 mins ago, CWitek said:

They'll be stocking trout near the end of March.  Don't knoiw where you are; I'm in Babylon, and March--maybe around the  25th, give or take a few days--brings out the crowds on all the impoundments along the Carlls River, and on the public stretches of stream in between.  The same waters have yellow perch, sunfish, bass, pickerel, etc. to play with before and after the state arrives to feed the ospreys and cormorants, but I'm not sure how accessible they are at this time of year.  Parking at the three impoundments is decent, with Argyle Lake probably the easiest, and Southards Pond calling for the longest walk.

I am in Commack but grew up in West Islip and fished those waters for 65 years!  :-)  I used to love Argyle Lake but since the changed the shoreline,  seems like the fishing came to a halt.  Do they really Stock Argyle with trout!  What size?

Edited by ShilohRon

54 mins ago, ShilohRon said:

I am in Commack but grew up in West Islip and fished those waters for 65 years!  :-)  I used to love Argyle Lake but since the changed the shoreline,  seems like the fishing came to a halt.  Do they really Stock Argyle with trout!  What size?

Yes, they stock Argyle.  They don't last too long, as both the people and the birds wipe them out pretty quickly, although a few get into the stream and hang on longer.  As far as size goes, they're the usual Long island stocked fish, most in the 9-10 inch range, some a little bigger.  I've seen some scarred (osprey or heron near-misses, I'd guess) trout in the stream while monitoring the river herring run that might run 14 inches or a little more..  If you cabn find the DEC trout stocking schedule on the Internet, the information is all there.

1 hour ago, spiderrico said:

Hempstead park

Thanks!  I am in Commack and that is a haul for me.

1 hour ago, spiderrico said:

Hempstead park

Thanks!  I will check it out!