ridenfish

Pick up bed length ?

40 posts in this topic

How much pick up bed length do you need to transport a kayak?  I'm eyeing a Tacoma and it's only 5', having 7' of kayak sticking out the back seems like a lot.

Just now, Skunkoff said:

Get a bed extender.

I definitely would get one. I'm also wondering of the legality of 7' of kayak sticking out the back. Is that OK with a flag on it?

Keep in mind that the gate being down adds a couple of feet to the base the kayak is sitting on.

I have my kayak sticking out of the bed of my truck whenever I head out.

Unless your kayak and your truck are the same color, a flag isn't needed.

The need for flag was created because people were hauling stuff that was not easily visible or discernable from the driver's perspective. Things like ladders, lumber or pieces of metal that were pointing out towards any driver behind the truck couldn't tell how far the object was sticking out because of the viewing angle. The flag allowed the driver to gauge how far out the object was.

In my case, I drive a white pickup, and have a green kayak. There is no difficulty in seeing how far it sticks out.

That and the fact that I use bright orange tie-down straps makes it stand out quite easily.

As long as the kayak is secured properly, you should be good to go. If you feel the need for adding a flag, go ahead, better safe than sorry.

Definately put a flag on the back.With the distracted driving now.People are way more interested in their phones,gps,cameras,music,etc,etc.Anything hanging off your tailgate.Flag it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Your allowed 2/3 of your wheelbase past the last point of contact. My two 14’s are just legal in a 6’ bed. Anything more than 4 feet requires a 15x15” red flag. Don’t forget a cross strap at the tailgate. It will prevent the yak from cartwheeling over the cab in a frontal impact.

Edited by cheech

3 hours ago, ridenfish said:

How much pick up bed length do you need to transport a kayak?  I'm eyeing a Tacoma and it's only 5', having 7' of kayak sticking out the back seems like a lot.

20150822_131022.jpg.e7675afddcde3ddcb704e306fa1a2842.jpg

Only time I don't throw the kayak in the bed and instead strap it to the ladder rack is when I'm going to be driving in heavy traffic.  I never trust that people are going to be paying attention.

5 hours ago, FishermanTim said:

Keep in mind that the gate being down adds a couple of feet to the base the kayak is sitting on.

I have my kayak sticking out of the bed of my truck whenever I head out.

Unless your kayak and your truck are the same color, a flag isn't needed.

The need for flag was created because people were hauling stuff that was not easily visible or discernable from the driver's perspective. Things like ladders, lumber or pieces of metal that were pointing out towards any driver behind the truck couldn't tell how far the object was sticking out because of the viewing angle. The flag allowed the driver to gauge how far out the object was.

In my case, I drive a white pickup, and have a green kayak. There is no difficulty in seeing how far it sticks out.

That and the fact that I use bright orange tie-down straps makes it stand out quite easily.

As long as the kayak is secured properly, you should be good to go. If you feel the need for adding a flag, go ahead, better safe than sorry.

That's an interesting logic, I'd love to see that in print.... what  state defines their overhang regulations in this way.. 

Everywhere else, if your load sticks out over 4' you need a flag...

24 mins ago, BillZ said:

That's an interesting logic, I'd love to see that in print.... what  state defines their overhang regulations in this way.. 

Everywhere else, if your load sticks out over 4' you need a flag...

That might be because of the driver's POV looking at the end of the sticks and not being able to judge their length if the are pointed directly back at them.

I've been driving with my kayak in the bed of my truck for quite a few years, traveling back and forth from MA to NH, and never had any problems.

5 mins ago, FishermanTim said:

That might be because of the driver's POV looking at the end of the sticks and not being able to judge their length if the are pointed directly back at them.

I've been driving with my kayak in the bed of my truck for quite a few years, traveling back and forth from MA to NH, and never had any problems.

Sorry, you speculating what drivers behind you perceive or see is a perfect example of what NOT to do, not to mention giving someone on an internet forum advise like this .....What you did for years is just that, what you did for years, nothing more....

20 mins ago, BillZ said:

Sorry, you speculating what drivers behind you perceive or see is a perfect example of what NOT to do, not to mention giving someone on an internet forum advise like this .....What you did for years is just that, what you did for years, nothing more....

Well, unless you can bring factual information to the table, I guess speculation is all we have to go on.

I just checked our state's driver's manual, and could not find anything regarding flags on truck bed cargo.

As for drivers behind me, it is THEIR responsibility to be aware of their surroundings. (in the manual)