titleguy

April Vacation Fishing trip

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

My buddy wants to take his 15 year old son on a trip for April vaca to fish- the kid likes to catch fish.  They can travel pretty much anywhere in the US- suggestions from the crowd

Thanks,

2 hours ago, titleguy said:

My buddy wants to take his 15 year old son on a trip for April vaca to fish- the kid likes to catch fish.  They can travel pretty much anywhere in the US- suggestions from the crowd

Thanks,

Tough question to answer without knowing more.

Given the forum, are you thinking fly fishing?  Or does the statement "the kid likes to catch fish" mean any fish, with any gear.  Freshwater or saltwater or either?  If fly fishing, is the boy a good flyfisherman, or just getting started?

I can think of a few suggestions that I might make, but the answers to those questions would determine which one.

either- he is a decent fly fisherman but does not have to fly fish and is very competent spinning and conventional.  Dad is a great fly fisherman (and good friend of Ted Williams, actually) but also just likes to catch fish.

Are we working with a budget :)

I had planned for SC backcountry redfish last year before the world came to an end. 

I would still go with that. Plenty of good guides and warm weather. 

Get a airbnb on the water if you want to play around during down time. 

I would take my 15 year old in April to Florida , I would go to the Everglades National park , it's a wonder by itself , travel is easy , accommodations are simple & the guides well informed about fishing back . My goodness ! its a place one should see with a kid . My hs son loved it we ate some cool food & the fishing spin & fly was excellent . We went back the following year  2nd choice would be Bud & Mary's  , you can travel those little Keys Hotels galore fishing was Fantastic ! 

1 hour ago, Hook I said:

I would take my 15 year old in April to Florida , I would go to the Everglades National park , it's a wonder by itself , travel is easy , accommodations are simple & the guides well informed about fishing back . My goodness ! its a place one should see with a kid . My hs son loved it we ate some cool food & the fishing spin & fly was excellent . We went back the following year  2nd choice would be Bud & Mary's  , you can travel those little Keys Hotels galore fishing was Fantastic ! 

I second this.  If i could travel in april for Saltwater I would stay on Marco Island.  Fish the beach and hire a guide or canoe / kayak for the glades.

We are planning a family trip in april to SW Utah.  I dont think it will be lights out trout fishing, but should be decent.

1 hour ago, Hook I said:

Also second this.  Keys are great fishing spot for both Guided and DIY.  Hotels won’t be cheap as peak season heats up buts lots to do.  Islamorada puts you in the middle of it all.  Most hotels have pools to also keep him busy.  Great places to eat.  I would stay at a place that offers a kitchenette and living room.  Then you don’t have to eat out all the time .  Stay home and cook your fish !  

the beginning of april is prime steelhead fsihing on lake erie.  it is a very doable diy trip lots of public water to walk and hike.  typically during the week you wont see many other fishermen.  also the walleye fishing the last few years has been on fire with numbers and decent size if u wanted to take a charter boat out for a day.   last april i caught 2 steelhead over 30 inches in one day.  

40782.jpeg

3 mins ago, dlaurend said:

Also second this.  Keys are great fishing spot for both Guided and DIY.  Hotels won’t be cheap as peak season heats up buts lots to do.  Islamorada puts you in the middle of it all.  Most hotels have pools to also keep him busy.  Great places to eat.  I would stay at a place that offers a kitchenette and living room.  Then you don’t have to eat out all the time .  Stay home and cook your fish !  

A lot of available motels with a kitchens we just didn’t shop , if you plan a head you can bring your catch to most restaurants and they will cook your catch less than the menue price .  

I think I'd suggest the West Coast of Florida.... Sanibel area ... You can sight fish Reds on the fly, they are dumb as bricks when tailing up on the flats, it is the beginning of Tarpon season and there is a pretty good chance to see some big fish, if not catch them, and there is plenty of fun either plugging the flats or floating shrimp on popping corks to keep the action going.  You can also mix in a trip out into he Gulf or two... real good time to be there..

19 hours ago, titleguy said:

either- he is a decent fly fisherman but does not have to fly fish and is very competent spinning and conventional.  Dad is a great fly fisherman (and good friend of Ted Williams, actually) but also just likes to catch fish.

I'll offer two options that no one has mentioned yet, one salt, one fresh.

Saltwater, I'd think about Louisiana redfish.  Shouldn't be as crowded as the Keys in April--that's getting into prime time, and if it wasn't for COVID, I'd expect most of the places and good guides to be largely booked.  Louisiana weather is quieting down by then, it should be possible to find a guide who can offfer both fly and spin options, and the sceneryis something different from what you get on much of the coast.

Freshwater, think of trout in Virginia.  Spring will be breaking out in the Blue Ridge Mountains.  There are a lot of rainbows and browns, both stocked and feral, and also more wild brook trout than most people realize.  Pretty place, again fewer crowds than you'd run into on better-known waters.  Good place to start might be Mossy Creek Fly Fishing; I just mention that because I know someone who guides out of the shop, and it's a place that [prides itself on giving good service.

When I was 15, I would have enjoyed eith3er spot.

18 hours ago, Hook I said:

Agreed.  I'm going on a family trip to Miami in mid April and was able to get a day with a guide who is usually well booked for most of March and all of April.  Some of the other guides are still fully booked in March and April but I think if you are doing a few days guided then you will have more good options on a last minute trip than you would have in 2019.