z-man

Trailer Tires

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I need to get new boat trailer tires. Mine are starting to crack. Any recommendations on what brand to buy or not buy. It’s a 17’ aluminum boat and 13” rims. 

I just had mine done. Took it to a trailer shop and they put on what they had. It’s not the same as car tires....just needs to stay inflated and roll true. 

you can get replacement tires and rims from etraler for cheep, just make sure you can get the old ones off! 

I bought new tires and rims from etrailer.  Went with Kendas in Load Range E.  Was nicer just buying everything all fresh and new.  Matched with galvanized rims.  I have tire spoons and experience mounting tires but went for easy button.

Trailer had four radials on it when I bought the boat. Over two years I replaced all four with bias trailer tires on new rims. Huge difference in maneuvering, backing, turning. Much easier, I think because of a stronger sidewall in construction vs a radial. Worth noting, my trailer does maybe 25 miles per year. Hasn't left town in 13 years. So no need for highway performance or longevity. Pretty sure they are Lodestars. I have replaced, rollers, springs, U-bolts, hitch, wheels and tires. I don't even bother with maintaining lights and wiring around town. Keeping up with the maintenance is much easier when done on an empty trailer....

I agree that limited distances, reduced speeds, and seasonal towing; tires that hold air are tires. But with longer distances at higher speeds on one axle and a heavy boat, tire quality should be a "thing". 

I trailer a lot and radials are a must for me. After lots of research, I started using Goodyear Endurance. Had marathons on there prior and got a lot of years on them and even though they still had good tread on them, they started to crack and I knew they were past due. When I'm going 75MPH with my boat in tow 120+ miles, I don't want to be stretching it or driving on budget tires. 

Also if you have bias tires, it's a good idea to jack the trailer up to take pressure off the tires during the off-season. When you walk by your trailer in the winter give the tire a light spin to remind the grease to kiss the bearings. I also go as far as to cover my tires from the sunlight when not used for extended periods of time. 

I bought a new trailer a couple of years ago and I told them I wanted radials. They told me I did not need them, I disagreed. I tow my boat all over NJ. From Sandy Hook to Cape May. The last thing I want is to be broke down on the side of the road because of cheap incorrect tires. Even worse have an accident because of tire failure.