Flip n Dip

Tatula 100H line recommendations

22 posts in this topic

Just bought a Daiwa Tatula 100H and not sure which line to spool it with. The lightest line it is rated for is 12 pound mono or 30 pound braid. I am leaning towards 12 pound Big Game mono. 30 pound braid seems a bit excessive for the kind of fishing I plan to do with it. It will mostly be used for jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, swimbaits and occasional top water. I would consider braid if it was rated for lighter than 30. I just don’t see the advantage of 30 pound braid over 12 pound mono since 12 pound mono is actually thinner in diameter, less visible and wouldn’t require a fluorocarbon leader...All suggestions, thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

The purpose of using 30, 40, even 65lb braid in freshwater BC reels has nothing to do with actual strength but rather its low stretch nature and versatility with swapping out various leaders. That and sawing through vegetation when frogging or not casting off a 10oz $300 swimbait. You use 30lb and up mostly to prevent braid digging into itself on the spool, not bc you *need* 30lb braid that breaks at 50lbs to crank in 3lb fish. 

The only thing I use straight floro for is spybaiting on a spinning setup, though I might play around with straight floro for jerkbaits and some bottom contact on BC this year. I can't think of any scenario where I'd want straight mono for anything...trying to set the hook with 50 yards of mono out is my idea of fishing hell. 

I hear what you’re saying, I really do like braid also. I just don’t use it much on baitcasters for bass fishing. Most of the places I fish are heavily pressured and the water is relatively clear. I don’t know if 30 pound braid even with a 6’ leader will not scare the bass away when it runs past them. In clear water it looks like a telephone wire. If I was punching jigs through vegetation it wouldn’t matter. I kind of like mono for open water. I also like the idea of not having a leader knot clacking through my guides when I cast. With all that being said I also really like the advantages of no stretch so I have not ruled out braid. What kind would you recommend? I have always liked Suffix. I am open to trying something else.

30 mins ago, Flip n Dip said:

Most of the places I fish are heavily pressured and the water is relatively clear. I don’t know if 30 pound braid even with a 6’ leader will not scare the bass away when it runs past them. In clear water it looks like a telephone wire. 

That's exactly the reason I want to try straight floro for horizontal presentations like jerkbaits, though for spybaits I didn't notice any dropoff in bites on braid to leader vs straight floro - but landing % is dramatically higher on straight floro bc of the stretch. The tradeoff on jerkbaits is I really prefer the ease with which braid imparts action - my wrist/arm doesn't feel like it's about to fall off with braid vs straight floro.  

Anyway, I highly recommend YGK Upgrade X8 in 40lb for your tatula. It's about the same dia as 20lb J braid but they use JDM ratings. It's such a tight weave that it kind of feels like a mono/flouro line, doesn't soak up any water and hasn't started fraying/fuzzing in the year I've used it on both spinning and casting gear. Best braid I've used by a wide margin, and it's avail now stateside. 

Thank you for the advice Buddha. I’ll have to search online to see who sells that line. I never heard of it before but a lot of really innovative and really good stuff has been coming out of the JDM. Most of it is expensive but worth the extra coin. Good line is something I don’t mind spending on. Few things ruin a day of fishing more than bad line! :laugh:

I actually have my Tatula 100 spooled up with 10lb Trilene XT right now. For light applications mono has done well for me on this reel.

12lb mono would work ok for what you are suggesting as sensitivity is not critical, but personally I would go with braided line for many of the reasons Buddha mentioned. A long mono or flouro leader with braided line works well even in clear water.

The only reason I am running mono right now is because I fish through the late fall and winter time cold and I wanted a line that sheds water easier then braid.

Once air temps stay above freezing I will be spooling the reel with 15lb braid. My Tatula 100 is strictly used for light presentations, I have no need for heavier line, but all anglers have their preferances.

20lb to 30lb braid goes on my 200 sized low pros.

11 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I actually have my Tatula 100 spooled up with 10lb Trilene XT right now. For light applications mono has done well for me on this reel.

12lb mono would work ok for what you are suggesting as sensitivity is not critical, but personally I would go with braided line for many of the reasons Buddha mentioned. A long mono or flouro leader with braided line works well even in clear water.

The only reason I am running mono right now is because I fish through the late fall and winter time cold and I wanted a line that sheds water easier then braid.

Once air temps stay above freezing I will be spooling the reel with 15lb braid. My Tatula 100 is strictly used for light presentations, I have no need for heavier line, but all anglers have their preferances.

20lb to 30lb braid goes on my 200 sized low pros.

Do you have any problems with the braid digging into the spool when using lighter braids than the recommended 30 pound? For what I intend to use the reel for, 15-20 pound braid would be ideal. I just don’t like to go below what the manufacturer recommends because that usually causes problems.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Flip n Dip said:

Do you have any problems with the braid digging into the spool when using lighter braids than the recommended 30 pound? For what I intend to use the reel for, 15-20 pound braid would be ideal. I just don’t like to go below what the manufacturer recommends because that usually causes problems.

I spool up extra tight and never have had an issue. Before I put mono on the Tatula for the cold weather I was running 10lb braid. I may still put the 10lb braid back on, but I really don't want to have to put that much line on the reel.

If light braid had so many issues digging in then it would also be an issue with spinners too. You just spool up nice and tight.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

Perhaps I am doing it wrong but I use whatever mono I have around as backing and leave enough space for about 75 yards of 20 # braid and use a multitude of different leaders depending on what I am throwing.  I have tried lighter braid but I run my reels a little loose and hate losing lures because of a backlash.  

Good luck!

6 hours ago, Flip n Dip said:

They are just going by average US braid diameters, it's the dia that's important when it comes to digging in (that and roundness). Like I said, the YGK Upgrade x8 in 40lb is equivalent in dia to most 15 - 20lb US braids. It just actually breaks at 40lbs lol. 

Also if you set the hook into a tree lob out the next couple of casts regardless of what braid you're using. Thin braids on a baitcaster can dig in halfway through the spool - that's not happening on modern spinning reels no matter how loosely you spool up. 

16 mins ago, buddha162 said:

They are just going by average US braid diameters, it's the dia that's important when it comes to digging in (that and roundness). Like I said, the YGK Upgrade x8 in 40lb is equivalent in dia to most 15 - 20lb US braids. It just actually breaks at 40lbs lol. 

It is the tightness of how you spool your line on the reel's spool that primarily effects how much the line digs into the spool.

Line diameter plays into it, but secondary to proper line spooling.

Still, I might look up this YGK braid, seems interesting. How is the reliability? Reliability is why I can not seem to move away from 832.

17 mins ago, buddha162 said:

Also if you set the hook into a tree lob out the next couple of casts regardless of what braid you're using. Thin braids on a baitcaster can dig in halfway through the spool - that's not happening on modern spinning reels no matter how loosely you spool up. 

I have never experienced this on a properly spooled baitcaster.

On reels not spooled properly it will happen on a spinner or baitcaster regardless of line diameter.

I have messed with other people's reels and most people think that their base layer of line is tight enough, but if I can press on the line and it feels boggy at all it was not spooled tight enough. If 10lb line is digging that deep before breaking your line is more then likely packed too loose.

38 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Line diameter plays into it, but secondary to proper line spooling.

Still, I might look up this YGK braid, seems interesting. How is the reliability? Reliability is why I can not seem to move away from 832.

1) I know how to spool reels

2) Zero issues for me across 1 year and 5 reels but with 300 yards of line only 1mm needs to go wrong in QC to **** you

1 min ago, buddha162 said:

1) I know how to spool reels

2) Zero issues for me across 1 year and 5 reels but with 300 yards of line only 1mm needs to go wrong in QC to **** you

You did tell the OP to buy a line that has a diameter the equivalent of a US 15lb braid after basically telling him that 15lb braid is too thin to use on a baitcaster.

You do realize that, right?