Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sudsy

Vintage spinning reel question

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I'm thinking about doing a little throwback fishing using an old (but sweet) 10' glass rod I'm rebuilding that was handed down to me from my Dad. Now I need a reel to go with it. I've wanted a Penn 706 (greenie) but have had no luck at all finding one in decent shape. I'm looking to broaden my search a bit and have seen a few interesting looking reels that I unfortunately know nothing about.

So far the ones that have caught my eye are by Dam Quick, Centaure, Luxor, and Crack. (the Luxor and the Cracks look almost exactly alike - are they the same company??) Since this is more for just messing around, I'm not looking to put out a lot of coin, just pick up a working reel.

My questions are, can you get parts for these things and what model numbers would be comparable to the size of the Penn 704/706??

Throwback fishing is cool. Never buy a beater reel unless you know how to fix them and know someone with parts. Plenty of excellent green 706's out there. Post that you will pay $200 for one and you will probably have a few offers to sell. Perfect greenie's are becoming ultra-collectible. Doubt it will last, but prices have never been higher. Something like this 710 would have been lucky to auction for 1/4 the price before Penn got sold to Sea Striker.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3622643071&category=36 178

Crack and Luxor are the same reel in different flavors. Heavy, heavy reel. On the verge of being a collectible. DAM/Quick is Alan Hawk's fav. Very easy to find minty ones during the winter flea markets. Dunno much about them. Me? I'd grab a Mitchell 306. Like new ones are cheap (definitely under under $35 if you look) and incredibly easy to locate. And a lot of guys, even in the local shops, can degrease/service them. Maybe not exotic enough for throwback fishing. Can also look at Mitchell 302's and 488's if you want a big reel (on a 10' rod?), but parts start to be a problem. My second choice (if you were going to be kind to it) would be a Cardinal 7. Not very common, but can still find a good one for under $100, and a hell of a reel back in the day.

[ 09-04-2003, 01:52 AM: Message edited by: Triet ]

You should be able to find a decent user class Penn 704, or Penn 704z for reasonable $. I picked up one from the trade/sell forum - metallic green with the one way clicker drag on the spool.

Don't leave out the Daiwa Black Gold (BG60) series from the 70s - they were pretty decent and they are were still in production last year. I heard one of their series was getting phased out, but not sure if it was this one or not.

I find myself reaching for my fiberglass rods a lot. smile.gif Its a different approach - more basic fishing with mono. I hope you load up with Trilene XL. wink.gif Not a lot of fun winching in a fish on 50 lb braid.

I still use my Quick DAM's. I have a 330 and a 550, the drag is not that good and the lack of bearings is old technology, but their still a kick to fish with. I bought these 30 years ago and their mated to Fenwick rods.

Perfect greenie's are becoming ultra-collectible. Doubt it will last, but prices have never been higher. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3622643071&category=36 178

Penn Reel Spinfisher # 710 New In Box Item number: 3622643071

Bidding has ended for this item (Winning bid: US $416.12 eek.gif

Ended: Aug-22-03 15:16:28 PDT

History: 12 bids (US $15.00 starting bid)

$416 !!!!!!!! Holy CRAP! No wonder I'm not having much luck.

I'm getting a Penn 706Z anyway for when I'm serious about catching fish. What I'm looking for now is a MUCH less expensive older reel. (looks like I can forget the Greenie). The Dam Quick might be a winner as I'm not a big fan of the Mitchells and Cardinals. I just gave away two Mitchell 900's.

Any idea what model # I should look for?

As for repairs, if I can get parts, I can do any repairs myself. The only reel to ever defeat me is an Abu XLT Syncro (ya don't want to open one of them up icon25.gif )

"I hope you load up with Trilene XL." icon14.gif

"looks like I can forget the Greenie"

Beater to user quality greenies are still fairly cheap. Just don't expect to score a deal on a LNIB-NIB greenie at any of the shows from anyone who watches Ebay (ie all of the dealers). Just buy a reel that seems to work perfectly, and ignore the cosmetics.

On the other hand something like this is the quality that you want to start with (unless you want to learn a lot about the NOS reel parts market) and would go for under $100 on Ebay and less than $80 at a show. Might seem like a lot, but consider that a hard to find line roller or bail spring might be $20 if you ever found it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3625013071&category=36 178

Suds- Forget those reels, they had their time, they went the way of the Studebaker, probabaly a good car but that was then. If I was you, Id pick up a used 704 or 706 for around $50 and have at it, I'll predict you dont use that ol' stick and reel more than 3 times, this sounds like another Sudsy idea cooked up whilst you were were finally thinkun of ditchin your conventional plugging stick. If you need a reel for the "M" trip, Ive got a 704 in great working shape, its about 20 yrs. old but in good shape and id be glad to let ya borrow it. Anyway, it will be just yer luck to buy an ol dinosaur and get your fish of a lifetime, that aint the time to be wonderin if that old Luxor or Crack is still up to the challenge. They were and are coffee grinders, rough right out of the box and in todays world they just dont belong.

Phil, good analogy but wouldn't you like to have one of those Studebakers to play around with now.

This is just for fun. I'm putting a 706z on an 11' honey Lami for that M place.

Suds- You chose yer poison, best of luck, I'll look for the guy with the shoulder wrapped in a sling, didnt I tell ya, once you go over 10', yer lookin to hurt yerself. As for the Studebaker, heck no I dont want one even to play with, the only thing that old Id like to play with is Sophia Loren or Raquel Welch.