Pearl Bomber

Quest for Best Eggbeater under $300...Criteria

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Best one that fits the following criteria:

Smooth

Durable

30 plus #s of drag

Sort of water resistant...Not VS but not Shimano IX...

Mechanical backup AR

+\-300 yards 30# braid

Not a beast reel...

I know people will say save for Saltiga 20, Stella, VS...just curious to hear what other spinner gurus think of for budget friendly saltwater spinners with these characteristics.

Daiwa BG 5000 hits this I think... Does the MQ model have mechanical AR backup after the 4500?

Saragosa SWA?

Cabo 80?

Fin Nor Lethal (If this is even available)?

Okuma Azores Blue?

Slammmer III?
I’m curious to hear your thoughts...

12 mins ago, Callmefish said:

Spinfisher vi

Mechanical backup AR?

Pennn SF VI is a nice reel, I have a 4000. One of my go to all purpose light surf/ boat rod.

The mechanical backup AR criteria comes from the cold weather experience of Super Stopper failing on some solid fights in the Ditch and other places with good current. Resulted in some sore knuckles...not critical, but losing fish and confidence in gear sucks...

18 hours ago, Pearl Bomber said:

Best one that fits the following criteria:

Smooth

Durable

30 plus #s of drag

Sort of water resistant...Not VS but not Shimano IX...

Mechanical backup AR

+\-300 yards 30# braid

Not a beast reel...

I know people will say save for Saltiga 20, Stella, VS...just curious to hear what other spinner gurus think of for budget friendly saltwater spinners with these characteristics.

Daiwa BG 5000 hits this I think... Does the MQ model have mechanical AR backup after the 4500?

Saragosa SWA?

Cabo 80?

Fin Nor Lethal (If this is even available)?

Okuma Azores Blue?

Slammmer III?
I’m curious to hear your thoughts...

What weight would you like it to be under? 

That to me is the light heavy weight division, and the specs you are looking for should be standard on a lot of the models except for #'s of drag. Won't see many with 30#'s until you hit the 8k size reel. The BG MQ6000 is a little powerhouse specs wise only weighs 15 oz, has 26 #'s of drag and holds over 300 yds of braid. It's much smaller than the BG5000, it's closer in size to the BG4000. The MQ line is new and other than taking a few casts with the BG MQ6000, I haven't really fished it. You could go all the way up to a BG MQ 14k and stay in the middle of that weight class. If you want to max out that $300 I would look at the Saragosa 8k it's been known as a reliable tank and checks all the marks.

Just now, BDigital said:

There is a SaltX in the BST. I would probably go that direction if you wanted to spend a little more. 

Thanks for thought. Thread is more of a conversion piece, looking for that magical do everything reel at a reasonable price point...

48 mins ago, drumfish213 said:

Slammer isn't all that smooth. I like my slammer a lot besides that. 

If you get hung up on buttery smoothness, like the Stradic or BG, and expect every reel to be that smooth, you’ll end up disappointed. I got a Battle III DX, not buttery but smooth non the less.

2 mins ago, Pearl Bomber said:

If you get hung up on buttery smoothness, like the Stradic or BG, and expect every reel to be that smooth, you’ll end up disappointed. I got a Battle III DX, not buttery but smooth non the less.

Not hung up on it but also expected a little more smoothness from the reel based on price and how well regarded it is. I also think there is a quality control issue as my friend has the same reel and it is a lot smoother than mine. It isn't terrible when when working a plug slowly it is noticeable and distracting. There is a click feeling at certain rotations which I think is the slider. 

1 min ago, drumfish213 said:

Not hung up on it but also expected a little more smoothness from the reel based on price and how well regarded it is. I also think there is a quality control issue as my friend has the same reel and it is a lot smoother than mine. It isn't terrible when when working a plug slowly it is noticeable and distracting. There is a click feeling at certain rotations which I think is the slider. 

I believe I’ve read the Slammer 3 had some QC hiccups early on...

I had a the same thing with a BG4000. The line roller bushing made a grinding noise on mine, right out of the box.  Not my buddies...I sold it, but not due to dissatisfaction. I know Alan Hawk and Tackle Advisors talk highly of the BG line roller bushing...