Jay_paternostro

Best night of surf fishing

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

New moon tide on the Southshore of Long Island. Date was 10/31/2013 with a light Southwest blowing at 8-10mph. Yellow SS small needle w/red eyes, landed Stripers on every cast from 7pm until 12:30AM all fish weighing in at 18lbs. to 35lbs. My hands were so beat from reeling in fish and unhooking fish for a few days. Funny thing, we went back the next day and didn't even get a tap....   

1 hour ago, prican1 said:

New moon tide on the Southshore of Long Island. Date was 10/31/2013 with a light Southwest blowing at 8-10mph. Yellow SS small needle w/red eyes, landed Stripers on every cast from 7pm until 12:30AM all fish weighing in at 18lbs. to 35lbs. My hands were so beat from reeling in fish and unhooking fish for a few days. Funny thing, we went back the next day and didn't even get a tap....   

Any weather moving in or out that day?

New moon early/ mid June, 4 or so years ago, hammered on em at my favorite spot here in NH on Friday night. Got some rest, packed up truck, loaded up the family and headed to the Cape Sat morning. Came into a good school and landed PB the following day. That was a good weekend.

Not sure about best but maybe most memorable, I have it on a log somewhere. Anyway, for discussion purposes and its pretty accurate as far as times and dates but lets go with somewhere between 80 and a hundred weakies from 5-8 lbs, nothing larger, completely stupid fishing, if you came up empty on any cast it was your fault. Outfront in Long Branch, jetty tip, mid September  1982 from around 6pm till well after dark, one after another non-stop and not spikes, nice eaters. In those days $1 a pound whole for bass and weakies from supermarkets or restaurants, blues could go as low as a nickel a pound, not worth carrying to market.  Wind could not have been anything because it all started on the 5" Smoky Joe Red Fin and after I got tired of dragging them over the rocks I attacked from the beach and was easily reaching them on a short jetty front. Changed lures a few times, could have tossed a hot dog, they were steady chewing for hours. Anyway, I think I kept 3 or 4 for gas and plug $$$. Not sure on the tide , moon phase or water temp, probably warm though, mid September usually upper 60's low 70's. All those factors mean about nothing, means there were fish there then, doesn't mean they return.

Ran into many bass and blue blitzes, only twice with bass in the 30-40 lb. range, mostly school bass but many times alligator blues, some pushing 18-20 lbs, over 14 or so and they get nastier and love to ruin tackle of all types, they even eat bucktails. The weakfish blitz was the only time I ever experienced weaks that steady for a 3-4 hour period in the same spot. Chase them ok, these stayed put. I remember it also because I was newly married and my wife had one of those kitchen gadget parties, told me not to come home before 10 or something, I never considered it. 

One of my most memorable was the night my buddy Tom caught his first keeper sized Bass.

Was November, he was casting up next to a short jetty with a black bomber.

His first and he released it quick. Nice fish, great night!

My best night was a calm night on the tip of a Jetty on outgoing tide...It was around sundown when it started early October and the bite lasted until 3am.I had over 40 fish from 18-27lbs..I was catching fish every cast or missing fish ...Other plugs were catching for me but not like the 3oz Pink Gibbs Darter the through wired version.That plug was red hot.There were 2 guys fishing bucktails next to me all night watching me catch fish after fish and they got skunked.There was massive schools of squid all over the place...

Posted (edited) · Report post

Montauk, September of 2013 or 2014. Went with a buddy. We fished the North side that night. It was around 2:00am. We both swam out to a rock. Mine was about 50 yds away from him. Saw him in the faint cloud covered moon light catching nothing. I was throwing a needle for a while catching nothing. Decided to put on a buck tail. Second cast, I hooked into a freight train, Took off for Rhode Island. Yanked me off of the rock. As I'm bobbing in the water trying to fight the fish, I'm also trying to get back to the rock. Somehow, made it back to the rock, flipped my red head lamp on to get my bearings and senses back. A wave comes in, and sweeps me off the rock (light still on). Again I find my way back to the rock. Once again, the fish has the upper hand, and takes me for a ride again (light still on). Again, back to the rock. Finally, fully planted I can fight the fish. Fish did not want to be caught. Fought it for what was 10-12 minutes. Line snapped, fell back off the rock. Exhausted and pissed, I swam back to shore. Sat on a big piece of driftwood and lit a cigarette (when I smoked). Buddy comes over and askes If I had any luck. I proceeded to tell him the story, and he busts out laughing. He said that was you? He was wondering why some d-bag kept turning on and off his red light so many times, lol. 

Edited by Fishtale7