fishfinder401

durable twist tails

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

So I am starting to get all my flies ready for this upcoming spring and wanted to try tying some woolly buggers with twist tails on the back, but most of the ones i found sold seem to just a soft plastic, which i cant imagine is very durable. im under no illusion that these flies will last forever but is there any twist tail type things that maybe have some sort of reinforcing built in maybe similar to otter tails?

Use a mono straight, tie it off of the end of your fly, then glue (I use e6000) the twister tail you like—these can be easily replaced on the hard mono when they fail or fall off. I’ve been playing with this and using just a bag of crappie jigs. Basically ends up as a Mister Twister but fly version. 

Just now, Ftyer said:

Use a mono straight, tie it off of the end of your fly, then glue (I use e6000) the twister tail you like—these can be easily replaced on the hard mono when they fail or fall off. I’ve been playing with this and using just a bag of crappie jigs. Basically ends up as a Mister Twister but fly version. 

oh that's an interesting idea, ill have to try that

You can braid tails with 3 pieces of chenille like a Gulley worm. You’ll need to tie off the end so it doesn’t unravel it add something to the tip like marabou, bunny or foam.

It wouldn’t be reinforced though but I haven’t had an issue with their durability either.

I added a picture to of some braided tails with marabou added at the end of them.

You could always twist something together with wire like pipe cleaners but it would be pretty rigid and lack the movement of a braided tail.

Hope this helps.

SF

0CFAEEFD-19CE-4714-B4D1-83D42865C2A3.jpeg

23 hours ago, Stonefish said:

You can braid tails with 3 pieces of chenille like a Gulley worm. You’ll need to tie off the end so it doesn’t unravel it add something to the tip like marabou, bunny or foam.

It wouldn’t be reinforced though but I haven’t had an issue with their durability either.

I added a picture to of some braided tails with marabou added at the end of them.

You could always twist something together with wire like pipe cleaners but it would be pretty rigid and lack the movement of a braided tail.

Hope this helps.

SF

0CFAEEFD-19CE-4714-B4D1-83D42865C2A3.jpeg

oh, that definitely looks like something worth trying. do you know of any materials i could use as a tail that would be slightly buoyant? i like tying my buggers with eyes like a clouser so i can bounce them on the bottom and a moveable floating tail could have some cool action

2 hours ago, fishfinder401 said:

oh, that definitely looks like something worth trying. do you know of any materials i could use as a tail that would be slightly buoyant? i like tying my buggers with eyes like a clouser so i can bounce them on the bottom and a moveable floating tail could have some cool action

You can tie a piece of foam on the end and cover it with marabou or bunny.

Here is a braided worm with a triangle foam tail tip that I use for bass.

SF

AFCF272C-A63D-4F15-8837-B4A0EFAF6D6B.jpeg

18 hours ago, Stonefish said:

You can tie a piece of foam on the end and cover it with marabou or bunny.

Here is a braided worm with a triangle foam tail tip that I use for bass.

SF

AFCF272C-A63D-4F15-8837-B4A0EFAF6D6B.jpeg

that looks like a fun and productive idea!