Spigola

Baitrunner reels?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

New that I have decided to throw snot and have my meat stick, and inline circle hooks accounted for, I am deciding on a bait runner style reel.  Are any of them any good?  Trying to keep it under $200.  For that matter, do you guys think they aren't necessary?

I used to stand on my hind legs when chunking, many years ago, but since I got into my 70's I'd prefer to park myself in a beach chair or on the tailgate of my truck and stick my rod in my big aluminum rod holder. 

Thanks guys.

Edited by Spigola

Go the shimano route for baitrunners. I still have a 3500b and a 4000b that's still going strong. I don't use them much now since I plug more, but I would look for the B series(black body), D series, or even the thunnus.(little extra but great a great reel).

If you're setting out multiple rods, 2 or more. I think they're necessary. If you spike your rod and forget to set your drag on a regular reel(non-baitrunner style reel) and a big bass or blue comes to take your bait, bye bye rod.

Not convinced its necessary but it can be useful (mind you i dont think live bait is much fun so) the old shimano has always been good to me. The spinfishers seem pretty solid aswell. even got a friend who swears by his fierce 3 live liner, but hes got a few screws loose anyway so take it with salt.

Personally have fierce II 6000 LLs. They are not necessary, sure, but they do not really cost more so why not. Less chance of losing a fish to tension or losing a rod out of a spike I figure. They are heavier though.

Id go with the shimano baitrunner as long as you keep it out of the water with only the occasional splash you should be fine. I tried some of the less expensive options to see how I liked that sorta fishing. Its fun early spring when they're not hitting plugs. Wish I went for the shimano from the start.

I really don't think they are needed. If you do your job a regular reel is sufficient.

A rear drag is one more complication to malfunction by way of sand or water.

I only have one in my lineup because I don’t do much bait fishing. All my reels are penn so I went with the Spinfisher VI live liner and really like it, but that’s a bit higher than what you want to spend so I would recommend the fierce. I have 2 fierce reels and faint had any issues with them, hope that helps.

13 mins ago, SteveB336 said:

I only have one in my lineup because I don’t do much bait fishing. All my reels are penn so I went with the Spinfisher VI live liner and really like it, but that’s a bit higher than what you want to spend so I would recommend the fierce. I have 2 fierce reels and faint had any issues with them, hope that helps.

Have 2 and like em.
Built like a tank

stay away from Okuma  and Tica

bodies cracked and didn’t last more than 2 seasons...half the price of Penns but r rally cheap construction and body resin...maybe they’ve improved but getting parts or fixing ain’t worth it, IMHO 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've been happy with my Spinfisher V 4500LL. I use it more for kayak trolling than livelining, it replicates using a clicker drag on a conventional. I actually wish the clicks on the liveline drag were louder like on the 3500b!

Edited by gellfex

Go conventional if you want a similar feature. Before it was cool to pencil popper fish in the spring it used to be a bait n wait game. Never needed a bait runner then. Don’t need them now. 

Maybe some of those responding didn't understand my OP.  I've been surf fishing for about 65 years and fished from MV to NY to NJ.  Fished boulders, rips and sand beaches walking out to bars.  No more of that for me.  Now it's gong to be casting plugs off a beach or a flat jetty.  That's why I am going to be tossing bait from the sand, sitting on my ass smoking a cigar and drinking coffee with my friends.  I'll still toss lures in the fall.  I've caught my share of big fish the hard way and it's time for my old bones to relax a bit.  I used to chunk with a big Lami honey blank and a Newell 344-5 many years ago.  We held onto our rods back then to set the Siwash hook into the fish's face.  Don't want to do that now.  I've had one of the long aluminum spikes for many years and will be sharpening it up to drive it deep into the beach.  Never saw one of those lose a rod to a fish.  The trick is a proper drag setting.

To all the knowledgeable answers, Thanks.  For all the internet heroes, put another 40 years on the beach and then get back to me.

Grouchy old Spig doesn't want to start a pissing contest so will lock this up.

Night all!