Maritimer

Abrasion Resistant Leader Material Suggestions

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Looking for suggestions or personal prefrences/experiences on Abrasion Resistant but still somewhat soft Leader Material in the 50/60 lb range

Fluorocarbon is definitely a superior material, and is what is recommended by many for leader material. The issue is the price, but like anything else you get what you pay for. I use fluoro if I am going to be in very rocky areas (Montauk), however on a sandy beach (my normal territory) I have been using 50lb mono, with no issues as of yet. If budget is not an issue, I would go with fluoro all day long. 

Switched to Stren High Impact last year with no issues.  I don’t use anything heavier than 20 though. More supple than big game in the 20lb to me.  I will say where I fish is nothing but rock piles and cutoffs. No complaints. I would imagine the 50lb would be like cable.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Monofilament is significantly more abrasion resistant than fluorocarbon, you can even test this yourself at home. I also don't think it makes a lick of difference in terms of visibility to the fish underwater. I fish for snook and Tarpon, the former being known to be particularly 'leader shy' and catch over slots on 60lb mono mid day off the beaches in summer using both live bait and artificial. Noticed no change in the amount of eats I got when I made the switch from fluoro in regards to Tarpon as well. Who knows though, maybe stripers have better eyes. 

As for brand, I use good old Berkley big game. The fishing line spools, not the "leader material".   

Edited by Snook_Slayr

1 hour ago, Callmefish said:

Flourocarbon is definitely not flexible 

1 hour ago, VS9898 said:

Fluorocarbon is definitely a superior material, and is what is recommended by many for leader material. The issue is the price, but like anything else you get what you pay for. I use fluoro if I am going to be in very rocky areas (Montauk), however on a sandy beach (my normal territory) I have been using 50lb mono, with no issues as of yet. If budget is not an issue, I would go with fluoro all day long. 

Salt strong did a test and according to their results, flouro is less abrasion resistant than mono. Fwiw I’ve been using Berkeley Big Game fishing line (not even mono leader material) for a a couple of years now. Works great. Ties great knots and i just replace my pretied leader as soon as there is even the smallest nick. Lots of other well known surfcasters do the same (Skinner, Wetzel, etc)

45 mins ago, HKJonathan said:

Salt strong did a test and according to their results, flouro is less abrasion resistant than mono. Fwiw I’ve been using Berkeley Big Game fishing line (not even mono leader material) for a a couple of years now. Works great. Ties great knots and i just replace my pretied leader as soon as there is even the smallest nick. Lots of other well known surfcasters do the same (Skinner, Wetzel, etc)

Honestly my 50lbs leader line is the crappy zebco brand mono from walmart, it’s like $3 for 300 yards or something. It works great.

i use the flouroclear for tog in 15

1 hour ago, HKJonathan said:

I saw this test by salt strong. I copied it and got the same results. Fluorocarbon is not more abrasion resistant then mono. It is less. If anyone doubts that it is easy to duplicate the test. I used seagur blue .

Posted (edited) · Report post

Berkley Big Game - knots well, good stretch for shock absorbing, handles nicks and abrasion well, lots of lb-tests available, widely available, and cheap.   No frills, just works

If line diameter is an issue, then start looking at fluoro.  I like Sunline FC100 system leader

Edited by cbinvb

Plain Jane Ande mono.  Comes in a nice wrist roll of 50 yards.  Pay a touch more for the 50 yard roll but I tend to get the bigger spools messed up