flyrad10

Size of gap between top of frig and cabinet above

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

53 mins ago, flyrad10 said:

What should the space be between top of refrigerator and cabinets above it?

Watch out, the height of fridges is not standard! I got really screwed by this once and to get the fridge in for the tenants who were without I took a sawzall to the cabinet's bottom! Since then I put in 12" high cabs over the fridge just to be safe, and it gives some room for crap like big platters on top of the fridge. The over the fridge cab is crappy storage anyway, even if it's a 24" deep cab it's hard to to get in there even on a ladder, the back is 30" away.

DSCF2325.JPG.f3674fc06564f7f80ad4b6a1e29faed0.JPG

1 hour ago, cheech said:

I don’t think there is a standard, a small gap looks more custom/built-in.

I guess a filler strip like that is a good solution to having flexibility in the future if the next fridge is taller.

1 hour ago, gellfex said:

Watch out, the height of fridges is not standard! I got really screwed by this once and to get the fridge in for the tenants who were without I took a sawzall to the cabinet's bottom! Since then I put in 12" high cabs over the fridge just to be safe, and it gives some room for crap like big platters on top of the fridge. The over the fridge cab is crappy storage anyway, even if it's a 24" deep cab it's hard to to get in there even on a ladder, the back is 30" away.

DSCF2325.JPG.f3674fc06564f7f80ad4b6a1e29faed0.JPG

not if your 6'4" it isn't. 

2 hours ago, flyrad10 said:

What should the space be between top of refrigerator and cabinets above it?

imo you should have at least an inch of space. It allows the fridge to breath properly. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 mins ago, gray gables said:

not if your 6'4" it isn't. 

Most of us, not to say our wives, are not up to that standard!

1 min ago, gray gables said:

imo you should have at least an inch of space. It allows the fridge to breath properly. 

Yeah, that's a whole nother issue. Old units often breathed throughout the front bottom, but not anymore it seems. Make it too tight and there's nowhere for the heat to go.

Edited by gellfex

20 mins ago, gellfex said:

Most of us, not to say our wives, are not up to that standard!

Yeah, that's a whole nother issue. Old units often breathed throughout the front bottom, but not anymore it seems. Make it too tight and there's nowhere for the heat to go.

my wife uses a folding step ladder that's in the hall closet to access it.

A good cabinet designer will set the cabinet above a standard fridge at 72” off the floor. Most standard roll in fridges are 70” to the top of the hinges. To get the height of the cabinet above the fridge you have to work backwards. If your finish height of your kitchen is 90” then you would need an 18” tall cabinet above the fridge. Once installed trims can be used to close the gap, but in my experience most fridge companies want a 1” air gap.