bob_G

Printer question

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

We need to get a new printer just to link up with our phones.  Both our other printers are ancient, and use tons of ink. 

Do you guys have any recommendations, or ideas what we should be looking at.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've got a very basic printer scanner and it has been trouble free. Teh only time it needs attention is after  a power outage. I have downloaded HP Print and Scan Doctor and run that and it works fine afterwards. Mine is  a HP Deskjet 2132. I think I paid less than $50 for it. I've had it about 5 years+. I buy the HP 63 or 63XL ink on Fleabay. Good luck!

PS: I am not sure if you can link it up to  a phone but I never tried. I do believe it is WiFi capable though so...

Edited by Ted Pietz

Printers and ink!!!!!  Effing scam....makes me nuts. 

We don't print much...at least we never did until the pandemic and kids home from school.  Even now we still don't do a lot of it.  That said, seems like every other time we NEED to print we're 'out of ink'.   Apparently the ink cartridges have a microchip that 'times out' assuming you've been using it the entire time regardless of ink level.  At least that's what I've read/heard.  We have an HP (I forget the model) with WiFi capability.  It works great when the ink isn't an issue.  I see an add that Shaq does for a new printer with actual liquid ink wells and a lot of capacity.  I haven't had a chance to check it out but might.

There’s a new one out ecotank ?  Comes with tanks of printer ink and probably never needs to be refilled if you just use it at home 

2 mins ago, jhndoe said:

There’s a new one out ecotank ?  Comes with tanks of printer ink and probably never needs to be refilled if you just use it at home 

That's the one I was thinking of with Shaq haha.

Wow....Just looked them up.  They say most manufacturers "don't make much money on the printers" but the ink cartridges.  Not this one!!  First hit on google was $469!

Inkjets are problematic if you don't use them very often. Printheads get clogged and you need to do the "cleaning" operation which wastes a lot of ridiculously expensive ink.

If you can get by without color, a small B&W laser printer is a much better alternative.  

Get a laser with wifi capability. Lots of them can be had for under $80 now a days (if you don't need color). Stay away from inkjet for all possibility. 

56 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Are people still printing things?

recipes, i hate when gravy gets on my laptop.   :D