Mainiac

And you thought wintah was over !

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Ayuh, same here.  March always seems to be a kick in the nuts up here.

Right now I'm just more concerned about losing power.

Meantime, I got plenty of trebles to replace.

Come on, we get days like this in May.  It's Maine.  Yet, for some strange reason, the fish always come back about the same time every year.   Maine has 3 seasons: cold, mud and fishing.

15 hours ago, Paka said:

Maine’s Four Seasons:

Winter

Black Fly Season

Mosquito Season

Deer Fly Season

and back to Winter

You forgot the coastal "Mean Green-Eyed Fly Season"

Thank you, that came out of a gardening newsletter put out by State of Maine. So if you are inland, don’t have to worry about green heads? They tried dairy farming near Plum Island many years ago and couldn’t because of green heads.

Never seen greenheads inland. Their habitat is salt marshes and the beaches next to them.

Deer flies are another matter. :rolleyes:

On 3/3/2021 at 10:12 AM, bdowning said:

Never seen greenheads inland. Their habitat is salt marshes and the beaches next to them.

Deer flies are another matter. :rolleyes:

We went over to S. Berwick and looked at a house a few years ago.  As I pulled the truck up I took out the phone to check the listing again.

Then I went to open the door and stopped as the whole side of the truck was covered in dear flies.

I pulled out of the drive and the flies disappeared.    Went back down the road to driveway and as soon as we stopped the truck was swarmed again.

Check that house off the list.

7 hours ago, DMacLeod said:

We went over to S. Berwick and looked at a house a few years ago.  As I pulled the truck up I took out the phone to check the listing again.

Then I went to open the door and stopped as the whole side of the truck was covered in dear flies.

I pulled out of the drive and the flies disappeared.    Went back down the road to driveway and as soon as we stopped the truck was swarmed again.

Check that house off the list.

weird, I'm 4 hours north and the bugs ain't too bad , a few black flies and skeeters in spring.

2 hours ago, jonesg said:

weird, I'm 4 hours north and the bugs ain't too bad , a few black flies and skeeters in spring.

I'm 6 miles from where that house is and we don't get them too bad either.    I never saw anything like it.  Maybe that is why the house was for sale. :confused:   There were literally 100s of the little blood sucking bastards.