Thomas Boyant Spoon for Trout: For Dummies?

jjdbike

One thing I like about TB spoon is the flutter and hang time on the drop especially if you are working deep holes or pocket on a lake or stream. I get a lot of hits on the drop and sometimes a steady retrieve with a slight pause here and there will get the trout to bite too. The only drawback on the TB is that it cast like crap when it's really windy even with a bigger size. I find it hard to make contact in windy conditions and the TB is a spoon you want to fish slow not fast. 

For windier conditions, that's when I opt for a something a little more dense like a Daredevle or Al's Goldfish. You also can't ignore a Little Cleo too. 

On 3/6/2021 at 11:00 AM, Beachglass Guru said:

You've got a rod that can throw the lighter stuff, so absolutely have at it.. lighter spoons = more hang/flutter time in the water. I love the 1, 1.4, 1.7 spoons... But before u buy, I'm gonna send you a pm, maybe save you some $...

I use Black in the summer and fall I imagine they are meant to look like leeches, tadpoles and the like... My spoon wallet isn't loaded with them, but I do have a few black spoons.. and several black backed spoons, I've had good luck with them lots of times.. I'm not sure what they are meant to imitate or if it's just the contrasting colors fluttering in the water, but they pull fish..

However, nothing beats a gold, brass, or copper back for me..

I have found copper spoons and spinners do well in highly pressured rivers, and black with a little flash of color does very well on brook trout and sometimes browns.  In my experience rainbows tend to be the most susceptible to spoons; mostly silver and gold with a flash of color, but I might have to revisit this option and try some the Forest Me'bus series on larger wild trout, especially in special reg areas that require a solo single hook. There are a lot of those type of streams in NC, TN, and WV and some trout camps require them. I already have a kit with single hook lures and the Me'bius sound like they would be a very nice addition to that kit.

Some of my best trophy trout fishing lures are 3 and 4" jerk baits with a finish called turbidity gold that looks like a combination of gold and copper. Sadly I have only been able to find a few of them. 

Thanks BG.

Edited by Jay Blair

"May your travels always take you to where the water meets the shore"

3 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Is that a 714z & braid?

3 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks folks,

I picked up a few. They look a little heavy for most situations I encounter most of the time.

Though I intend to hit some bigger water next week & the Thomas will be deployed.

Ill report back.

JD

20210330_115531.jpg

20210330_115712.jpg

troll #122  <*)))<

On 3/30/2021 at 10:19 AM, Jay Blair said:

I have found copper spoons and spinners do well in highly pressured rivers, and black with a little flash of color does very well on brook trout and sometimes browns.  In my experience rainbows tend to be the most susceptible to spoons; mostly silver and gold with a flash of color, but I might have to revisit this option and try some the Forest Me'bus series on larger wild trout, especially in special reg areas that require a solo single hook. There are a lot of those type of streams in NC, TN, and WV and some trout camps require them. I already have a kit with single hook lures and the Me'bius sound like they would be a very nice addition to that kit.

Some of my best trophy trout fishing lures are 3 and 4" jerk baits with a finish called turbidity gold that looks like a combination of gold and copper. Sadly I have only been able to find a few of them. 

Thanks BG.

I love copper spoons.. and its funny you bring up the black and color spoons bc I have a few like that including a me'bius that has been very productive for me.. and a few that are almost all black too that have worked well in the warmer months (I had always assumed they resemble a leach maybe?)

I hope that you find the me'bius to be as effective as I have. It really is a unique little spoon in my experience so far.. the single barbless hook has really become my go2.. I haven't experienced too many lost fish and the ease of hook removal and release is absolutely worth it.. these specific hooks that come on the me'bius are almost a sickle style single which I've found very effective at securing the fish once hooked..

On 3/30/2021 at 10:19 AM, Jay Blair said:

This color sounds like a combo of 2 of my favorites.. and it's funny because I just ordered some small handmade brass/copper combo spoons.. I wonder how similar in color they will be to this gold turbidity..

Thanks for your feedback Jay. like a lot of guys here I'm sure, I always look forward to your posts and advise. Thank you 

On 3/30/2021 at 2:56 PM, Nabobish said:

That Flash Fish is a trout killer, here in the Northeast.

Used to slay on the flash fish.  Are they still being produced?  Still have a handful left.

If i had to only carry three spoons, bouyant, phoebe and rough rider. The flash fish definately ranks up there though.

18 mins ago, MikeK said:

Used to slay on the flash fish.  Are they still being produced?  Still have a handful left.

If i had to only carry three spoons, bouyant, phoebe and rough rider. The flash fish definately ranks up there though.

I think yes but they might not be the same as the old ones. Also I need to look thru my stuff. Is there a sidewinder? Type of spoon

troll #122  <*)))<

Top left... Acme Flash Fish.

Sadly, no longer produced... though there have been short knock off runs, made locally in the last ten years. They look identical to the originals, but I’ve only seen them in gold. Sadly no gold / orange (“the one”) or straight silver. 

10 hours ago, Nabobish said:

Top left... Acme Flash Fish.

Sadly, no longer produced... though there have been short knock off runs, made locally in the last ten years. They look identical to the originals, but I’ve only seen them in gold. Sadly no gold / orange (“the one”) or straight silver. 

I preferred the staight gold to the gold/oramge combo.  I believe they also made a gold/silver combo that was good.  In general, gold and/or copper is my go to color for spoons, although the trout and perch patterns can be killer as well.

On 3/28/2021 at 9:02 AM, jjdbike said:

Hey Beach Glass,

Thanks for the recommendation. The Forest Me'bius spoons are everything you said they were. This one in 1.7 was my #1 producer yesterday in clear water, heavily pressured stream. For 1.7 it's amazing how well they cast. Easy to work as well. One day in and I already prefer them over spinners. Cast far better, single sickle style hook gets snagged so much less and does less damage to fish. I loved not having to worry about spinner not spinning properly. 

I'm def gonna order more in lighter weights!

Love the Cultive Micro snap swivel. See how much smaller and less bulky it is than the Mustad Fastach in size 0 and size 20 Eagle Claw snap swivel.

Best regards,

JD

IMG_0627.jpeg

Where did you order the Mebius from? I was looking on eBay and shipping from Japan was crazy at over $20 for a $5 lure.