The Riddler

Lets talk Superglue

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you fish Rubber/plastic,  superglue is a staple.  Can be carried in the plug bag or tackle tray. Perhaps you rig your plastics at home?  The beach buggy while on the sand with the head lamp on? In a controlled environment most glue works great. Tip clogging may be minimal. But what about carrying?  In the plug bag? The tackle tray on your kayak or boat?

One thing for sure is there is nothing more than a pain in the ass than having glue clog up, gel up, or dry up. For the clog? Don't we all shove the barb of the hook down that tip to free up the crusties in the hopes of getting a fresh shot out? I have had that frustration too. Finally came across the "Brush on" Style.  Started with the Gorilla Glue Type, did not have the strength to keep rubber on the hook or lead head. After a few tugs by Bass it would rip off prematurely. Came across Zap A Gap in the brush. I always used it with the tip but it would clog. Always liked the holding strength now I have it in the brush style. Works great.

What do you use? 

830E60CD-EE43-4061-8258-69C67A0D19FE.jpeg

Edited by The Riddler

Posted (edited) · Report post

Because of the clogging, I went cheap and buy a bunch of superglue from the Dollar Tree store. When it clogs up, I keep a spare fresh tube at all times. At $1 for two tubes, I'm good with that. :wave:

20210301_183357.jpg

Edited by slicedcornbread

Superglue will clog unless kept refrigerated.  Just the facts of life.

I use 3 types...

Water thin

(just spilled an ounce of it on my countertop....was lucky to have acetone within arms reach....my grout is now sealed lol)

Medium

Rubberized.

I don't glue baits...but I will glue keepers in place.

Mend it is good stuff..but different function.

The thicker superglues are more user friendly...but aren't as strong.   I would never want to carry the water thin superglues..Just opening the bottle after being in a warm car could cause a serious problem when it lets off the pressure and sprays it out.

That and since it gets all over the place so easily and so sneakily.......it stays in the house and once opened stays in the fridge.

The medium flow stuff is easier to work with.

The rubberized stuff takes quite a long time to cure....but it's flexibile (black in color)

Baking soda and acetone are musts to have on hand if dealing with bulk and you're clumsy :)

An awesome jig head finish...

mix mica pigment of your choice with baking soda...coat jig head in super glue.....

dip in fluid bed of mica/ baking soda..... :)

Looks very crustaceany.

Brush on for tying bucktails. Gel for soft plastics. Get the gel at Harbor Freight in the small tubes so if it dries up I just open a new one. 

When it gets on my hands a scrub with coarse salt usually removes most of it.

For gluing my heads and tails I use loctite gel and keep in my beer fridge.

I glue em up at home. I never carry glue with me it's always in the fridge.  I usually have enough made up.

2 hours ago, The Riddler said:

If you fish Rubber/plastic,  superglue is a staple.  Can be carried in the plug bag or tackle tray. Perhaps you rig your plastics at home?  The beach buggy while on the sand with the head lamp on? In a controlled environment most glue works great. Tip clogging may be minimal. But what about carrying?  In the plug bag? The tackle tray in yourself kayak?

One thing for sure is there is nothing more than a pain in the ass than having glue clog up, gel up, or dry up. For the clog? Don't we all shove the barb of the hook down that tip to free up the crusties in the hopes of getting a fresh shot out? I have had that frustration too. Finally came across the "Brush on" Style.  Started with the Gorilla Glue Type, did not have the strength to keep rubber on the hook or lead head. After a few tugs by Bass it would rip off prematurely. Came across Zap A Gap in the brush. I always used it with the tip but it would clog. Always liked the holding strength now I have it in the brush style. Works great.

What do you use? 

I used this stuff all the time for glueing coral frags to ceramic plugs in my reef tank, like IN my reef tank, as in underwater. Works great and it’s cheap the tube arenpretty big.

it cyanoacrylite glue

E60D8B50-E2FF-4C06-A890-60A8645E476D.png

13 mins ago, Callmefish said:

I used this stuff all the time for glueing coral frags to ceramic plugs in my reef tank, like IN my reef tank, as in underwater. Works great and it’s cheap the tube arenpretty big.

it cyanoacrylite glue

E60D8B50-E2FF-4C06-A890-60A8645E476D.png

Is it a brush or tube? 

Zap a gap brush on is great. So is Locktite brush on. Super glues are moisture cured so the more you expose them to humidity the faster it will congeal. 
I used to glue and zip-tie all my plastics until I switched to Zman rubber and HeadlockZ jig heads. On those you don’t need any assist. They stay on and they last forever. 
I still pre-rig other stuff like Sluggos with glue and zip-ties at home but just use zip-ties in the field. 

3 hours ago, The Riddler said:

If you fish Rubber/plastic,  superglue is a staple.  Can be carried in the plug bag or tackle tray. Perhaps you rig your plastics at home?  The beach buggy while on the sand with the head lamp on? In a controlled environment most glue works great. Tip clogging may be minimal. But what about carrying?  In the plug bag? The tackle tray on your kayak or boat?

What do you use? 

Can't go wrong with Gorilla, carry it in the surf bags and in the yak!