gray gables

Materials increasing

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

At my local drywall place and they informed me that drywall is going up 20% across the board April 1st. No this isn’t a joke either. At this point when do guys see this economy slowing down due to super high material prices. My next job I priced last September so far it’s gone up at least 10% due the price of materials having gone up. Luckily my customers don’t seem to mind which is good for me. 

4 hours ago, gray gables said:

At my local drywall place and they informed me that drywall is going up 20% across the board April 1st. No this isn’t a joke either. At this point when do guys see this economy slowing down due to super high material prices. My next job I priced last September so far it’s gone up at least 10% due the price of materials having gone up. Luckily my customers don’t seem to mind which is good for me. 

I feel bad for anyone quoting or doing  projects these days.  I think that you have to have a clause in your agreement that states pricing subject to change as material costs increase.  I guess everyone is getting to the point they expect to pay more for everything.  It seems to me that manufactures and suppliers were taking advantage of the covid crisis and gaffing everyone.

I think they are all starting to raise pricing to compensate for the slowing trend and lack of sales after the increased spurt they experienced.  I think the economy is in a downward trend and hasn't hit bottom as of yet.  Hate to be negative but.....

Posted (edited) · Report post

think of what that adds onto the cost of building a new house, everything is up. lumber, insulation, roofing, drywall.....

Edited by Sandflee

4 hours ago, Sandflee said:

think of what that adds onto the cost of building a new house, everything is up. lumber, insulation, roofing, drywall.....

Add on a couple of grand just for the AFCI breakers you now need for every circuit at $45 per.

41 mins ago, gellfex said:

Add on a couple of grand just for the AFCI breakers you now need for every circuit at $45 per.

yeah those things suck. By code if your changing outlets your supposed to change the breakers also, f that. 

VP of purchasing for large regional lumber yard on news last night;

lumber pricing index has gone from 400 to 1007 in one year's time....

That is 250% increase in my book.....

37 mins ago, nightfighter said:

VP of purchasing for large regional lumber yard on news last night;

lumber pricing index has gone from 400 to 1007 in one year's time....

That is 250% increase in my book.....

Crazy number yet people keep doing projects. 

7 hours ago, wingsandwater said:

Checked out the price of  7/16 OSB the other day....$33.  Yeah, no thanks.

I remember that used to be around 8$ way back in the day. 

15 mins ago, gray gables said:

I remember that used to be around 8$ way back in the day. 

I swear I only paid $11 2 years ago when I floored my attic.

I was planning on replacing the deck top this spring.  I'll price the lumber but I have a feeling I will hold off hoping prices go down over time.  No plastic as I hopefully won't be here long enough to justify that kind of expense.

Cabo

2 mins ago, Cabo2005 said:

I was planning on replacing the deck top this spring.  I'll price the lumber but I have a feeling I will hold off hoping prices go down over time.  No plastic as I hopefully won't be here long enough to justify that kind of expense.

Cabo

Pt has doubled since last year. You'll have to wait till next spring I bet for prices to even relax.