Bass Brah

Reel Service Boston/SE Mass

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Looking to get a couple older model reels serviced that are no longer done by Shimano, any recommendations within 30ish miles of Boston? Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

18 mins ago, bob_G said:

Any chance either of these places could fix an anti reverse on an ancient, but little used Penn 4500ss?

That sounds like the dog or the dog spring.

Maybe Red Too has that? 

Edited by ccb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, ccb said:

That sounds like the dog or the dog spring

It could well be. But when it comes to reel repair, I ain't your guy.  I'm awful.  :shaky:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bob_G said:

It could well be. But when it comes to reel repair, I ain't your guy.  I'm awful.  :shaky:

Older reels like your penn are so much easier to fix than fancy reels. I could imagine any shop with a handy guy can look into fixing it. Those older dogs has a spring that prone to rust and break after a certain time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, johnysmoke said:

Monahans in Weymouth said they have a guy, but I don't know how good or fast they are. 

The guy that Monahans send reels to is Jay Jigs.  He builds those awesome gaffs and harpoons, custom rods in a lot of shops.   I had him repair 5 rods for me over the winter and was very pleased with his work and service.  When I picked them up he told me about his reel service.  Everyone I've talked to said he does great work.

 

 

Nice guy, he's in Natick, easy to find his contact info with the google.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, Sailah said:

The guy that Monahans send reels to is Jay Jigs.  He builds those awesome gaffs and harpoons, custom rods in a lot of shops.   I had him repair 5 rods for me over the winter and was very pleased with his work and service.  When I picked them up he told me about his reel service.  Everyone I've talked to said he does great work.

 

 

Nice guy, he's in Natick, easy to find his contact info with the google.

I second Surfland, but that's good to know for next year. A lot closer to me than newburyport !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, foxfai said:

Older reels like your penn are so much easier to fix than fancy reels. I could imagine any shop with a handy guy can look into fixing it. Those older dogs has a spring that prone to rust and break after a certain time. 

The problem with the older penns is parts. They may not be made anymore. I've pirated working parts from ancient spare Penn reels, but that's not gonna last forever. Some of these shops can fabricate a solution, especially if it's something simple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bob_G said:

Any chance either of these places could fix an anti reverse on an ancient, but little used Penn 4500ss?

Bob if it comes apart I could repair your reel have plenty of springs still left over from my days repairing reels after I retired. Its up to you. Peace and Prayers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob,

 

I have a 450SS that is no longer used.  You can have it for parts or use as is.

 

I do my own reel repair.

 

I'm on Cape.

 

Send me a PM.

 

Charlie

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.