allstrzg

Slim Waders

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I searched the forum for this exact topic and I can't seem to find anything good.

I'm 5'10/150ish with a shoe size of 11. I'm looking for a pair of waders less than $200. Don't really care if they are stockingfoot or bootfoot. I see a lot of people talking about the Frogg Togg Hellbender Breathables but I also read they fit better for bigger guys. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Dimensionally, we are same build. Last season I ordered Compass360s and they leaked 3rd trip (heard similar reviews so I would steer clear of those). I purchased Simms Tributary waders ($190) after returning the Compass. I wouldn't classify the fit as "slim" but they are certainly a little more trimmed than most others I've tried.  Lasted June-October and then knees started leaking. Simms has an excellent warranty on returns. I've got a new pair heading my way at no cost except to send the original pair in (~$20). Not sure about the FroggTogg but ultimately every wader will leak, just a matter of when. I had Cabelas hip waders that held up 10+ years of wading, hunting, kayaking before the stocking foot leaked. Rocking Simms again this season though.

Edited by sikcrodbends

dark lightning off Amazon. Just bought some for $80. material looks good but waiting to test out performance. Says its a 4 season wader so hopefully its not too hot.

I am a little taller and about 25#s heavier. I use the Froggtogg Steelheaders. They have removable insulation and a boot foot. After 1 season no leaks. They are not slim fitting at all.... Much more baggy than the hell benders. My bro in law has the hell benders. They fit him will but he is 6'3. You will have a lot of options under $200, but I think you would need neoprene or a wetsuit if your looking for a true slim fit.

Had the Hellbenders for two years now give or take. I'm an average guy but not as slim as OP is 5'6 160 pounds but I haven't had many issues with the waders really getting in the way of my fishing like climbing down jetties and fishing on top of boulders. They have leaked in the past in the crotch area when the seams kept rubbing together and eventually wore them down. A generous coating of aquaseal and I was out wading with no issues. All waders will leak but you can certainly extend their life by giving them a rinse after each trip and repairing them once in a while.

Ive had frog toggs, I do not reccomed them. Simms and Patagonia are the best two brands I've had. The zippers on my frog toggs completely rusted after a handful of outings. Compass 360 arent bad for the price also

4 hours ago, sikcrodbends said:

Dimensionally, we are same build. Last season I ordered Compass360s and they leaked 3rd trip (heard similar reviews so I would steer clear of those). I purchased Simms Tributary waders ($190) after returning the Compass. I wouldn't classify the fit as "slim" but they are certainly a little more trimmed than most others I've tried. . Simms has an excellent warranty on returns. I've got a new pair heading my way at no cost except to send the original pair in (~$20). Not sure about the FroggTogg but ultimately every wader will leak, just a matter of when. I had Cabelas hip waders that held up 10+ years of wading, hunting, kayaking before the stocking foot leaked. Rocking Simms again this season though.

Yes, as in my years' ago leaking Simms waders, 2 bootfoot pairs, experience, "Simms has an excellent warranty" which, then, was a one year FREE replacement or repair of their waders. Now, from your posting, I see Simms has the same replacement warranty but a +$20 fee for the first year warranty. Why the increase, who knows? After my one year first leakage replacement, I was on my own to pay for repairs. No further warranty. And, yes, my Simms bootfoot waders continued to leak.

I never felt that my two Simms bootfoot waders held up to their reputation especially since I fish from shore, in the surf, not sliding on my butt along rocky jetties and never thrashing through shore rose bushes, as Simms once accused me of doing when my returned waders showed "multiple pinholes" when I sent them in for repair. I never hooked my flies into my waders while casting. Where the "pinholes" came from, I don't know but I surmise it's from the "deterioration of the Goretex fabric" due to wear and tear, as Simms said, in both cases. Cost me $90 at that time for repairs of those "pinholes", hahaha, pinholes. 

Since most of the complaints about Simms and others bootfoot waders come from saltwater fishermen, I think their waders & other brands do much better with the freshwater fishermen. Most of those freshwater fishermen select the stockingfoot waders since they're not trudging along the shore, boots in sand, and, with the excellent wading boots available nowadays, they don't get sand/gravel underfoot and the waders don't suffer like they would walking shore sand miles looking for fish with sand encroaching underfoot in the boots.

What bothers me is this, what you said about your Simms waders: "Lasted June-October and then knees started leaking". These are SIMMS primo grade or even, not "primo" grade waders , but Simms brand, which is why so many of us fishermen choose Simms brand. We know of them as the elite wader makers, made in USA, yada, yada, yada .And, yet, we see this statement over and over and you're not alone. I ask, why would your Simms waders, regardless of grade since they're designed to keep you dry since you're wearing waders.....leak after FOUR months? 

I think these are the questions we fishermen who choose to purchase Simms waders need to ask Simms and pursue answers as to why their waders would even leak, using them as described above, without customer abuse, in such short a time. Yes, sorry to say, all waders will leak eventually. Some, even after a short time, like 4 months, Simms included. 

After ditching two pairs of expensive bootfoot Simms waders due to leakage, even after their first repair,  I've reconsidered ever purchasing Simms waders again. I think we all need to consider if we need quality waders or waders with the "elite" Simms nametag. Me? I'm never going to pay for Simms overpriced waders again. 

Almost like a "review" of Simms waders, maybe not asked for, but possibly to prevent new wader buyers from selecting overpriced + eventually leaking, Simms waders just because they're considered to be the "ultimate" waders as, they are not. Just MHO. 

Edited by flysully

3 hours ago, VitaminDee said:

dark lightning off Amazon. Just bought some for $80. material looks good but waiting to test out performance. Says its a 4 season wader so hopefully its not too hot.

I was looking at those. I would need a Large in them. I don't know how I feel about that. Would appreciate if you let me know how they fit on you.

6 mins ago, flysully said:

Yes, as in my years' ago leaking Simms waders, 2 bootfoot pairs, experience, "Simms has an excellent warranty" which, then, was a one year FREE replacement or repair of their waders. Now, from your posting, I see Simms has the same replacement warranty but a +$20 fee for the first year warranty. Why the increase, who knows? After my one year first leakage replacement, I was on my own to pay for repairs. No further warranty. And, yes, my Simms bootfoot waders continued to leak.

I never felt that my two Simms bootfoot waders held up to their reputation especially since I fish from shore, in the surf, not sliding on my butt along rocky jetties and never thrashing through shore rose bushes, as Simms once accused me of doing when my returned waders showed "multiple pinholes" when I sent them in for repair. I never hooked my flies into my waders while casting. Where the "pinholes" came from, I don't know but I surmise it's from the "deterioration of the Goretex fabric" due to wear and tear, as Simms said, in both cases. Cost me $90 at that time for repairs of those "pinholes", hahaha, pinholes. 

Since most of the complaints about Simms and others bootfoot waders come from saltwater fishermen, I think their waders & other brands do much better with the freshwater fishermen. Most of those freshwater fishermen select the stockingfoot waders since they're not trudging along the shore, boots in sand, and, with the excellent wading boots available nowadays, they don't get sand/gravel underfoot and the waders don't suffer like they would walking shore sand miles looking for fish with sand encroaching underfoot in the boots.

What bothers me is this, what you said about your Simms waders: "Lasted June-October and then knees started leaking". These are SIMMS primo grade or even, not "primo" grade waders , but Simms brand, which is why so many of us fishermen choose Simms brand. We know of them as the elite wader makers, made in USA, yada, yada, yada .And, yet, we see this statement over and over and you're not alone. I ask, why would your Simms waders, regardless of grade since they're designed to keep you dry since you're wearing waders.....leak after FOUR months? 

I think these are the questions we fishermen who choose to purchase Simms waders need to ask Simms and pursue answers as to why their waders would even leak, using them as described above, without customer abuse, in such short a time. Yes, sorry to say, all waders will leak eventually. Some, even after a short time, like 4 months, Simms included. 

After ditching two pairs of expensive bootfoot Simms waders due to leakage, even after their first repair,  I've reconsidered ever purchasing Simms waders again. I think we all need to consider if we need quality waders or waders with the "elite" Simms nametag. Me? I'm never going to pay for Simms overpriced waders again. 

I concur with much of what you just stated. In ref to the $20 I had to spend, that was simply to ship back (not a charge by Simms). I will tell you that similarly to yourself, as a fellow surfcaster, I put a lot of stress in areas such as the seams on the knees while clambering over rocks in boulder fields, or even on jetties. The fact they leaked where they did is no surprise to me. You bring up a VERY valid point and underlying notion that we spend a lot of money on this gear that we want to trust, and when it fails us, we automatically turn warranty programs which may or may not turn out to be promising or reliable in the end (i.e. repair charges, shipping, etc). In the 24 years that I've enjoyed the outdoors and countless companies I've spent money with, they're ALL a let down some place somewhere. Speaking from my own experience with Simms, I am pleased with this turnaround. If the same or similar situation arises this year and they refuse to stand by the warranty this time, I may raise an eyebrow and turn another direction. Every company/manufacturer/industry has its crutch, it's just a matter of what we are willing to tolerate. Unfortunately the days of 100% satisfaction guaranteed are long gone and most warranties are going to "warrant" spending money on shipping, repair, or replacement. I've learned the devil is in the details but I'm on the same page as you. The only flip-side to most warranty programs that stand-by "life-time" or "limited life-time" ideals is that you're going to pay a few hundred if not several hundred dollars up front and when things break or need repaired, you're going to keep spending money although less in comparison to retail price. Companies got wise and realized where they could exploit and make-up for lost revenue, maybe we consumers need to get better at boycotting :D Be safe out there & tight lines, my friend!

11 hours ago, allstrzg said:

I was looking at those. I would need a Large in them. I don't know how I feel about that. Would appreciate if you let me know how they fit on you.

I'm a small build 5'7 155lbs and bought a small. It fits great and not too loose in any section.  The boot  foot is a little snug to go in but plenty of room for layers. I am just worried on how breathable these are. 

15 hours ago, flysully said:

Almost like a "review" of Simms waders, maybe not asked for, but possibly to prevent new wader buyers from selecting overpriced + eventually leaking, Simms waders just because they're considered to be the "ultimate" waders as, they are not. Just MHO. 

I have had the same experience with Simms over the past 20 years. They are about the lightest waders out there, but after about a year or so they start developing those mysterious pin hole leaks due to fabric fatigue once the water proofing wear off. They also have about zero resistance to any brush. I ruined a new pair just traversing a short path through a field with a few thistles. If they can't handle brushing by a few thistles then forget about wild raspberry, blackberry, or mutli-flora rose.

Their waders are wonderfully light, but once their material loses its stiffness they are about done. When the fabric starts to feel like worn paper they need pin hole repair and water proofing treatments on a regular basis.

I love my fishing, but I PREFER TO FISH WHILE I AM DRY.

Simms will cover any major seam failures the first year, but not pin holes, and that issue is their major weakness. For the price they should be better than that.

I got Patagonia's best waders and so far I have had three years with no leaks with zero repairs.

Edited by Jay Blair