bob_G

Feeding orioles

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, KidDkivahh said:

I got a few quick pics when I had got home . I haven't seen the Oriole yet so I substituted a Rose Breasted Grosbeak till an Oriole shows up. IMG_4366.JPG.de193fbcac12d972c1db9b2ca371788e.JPGIMG_4364.JPG.858bfb15f27750982f38461f2d82bb47.JPG

nice! what's the top one?

Had a sighting of an Oriole a couple of days ago in the backyard, but so far no activity at the feeders.

Female Hummer is getting quite comfortable in the mornings at the feeder just outside the kitchen window. Perched, sipping.

Looking forward to the Grosbeaks....

My wife calls the catbirds “Sylvios”, after the Sopranos hairdo. Two pairs of orioles already here as of the 1st. Last year was more than a dozen before the summer was out. Lol, hope I don’t get 2 or 3 dozen this year. I’m buying jelly by the case already.

side note: my next generation red bellies have also been on the jelly as much as the orange halves so far this year.

6 hours ago, cdsleeve said:

Orioles also like meal worms, I had live ones I raised for fishing but they went fast so I switched to dry ones.

50718232758_8a1a4461fb_c.jpg

Literally prostituting myself for Orioles. I can’t attract a one.  Jelly, worms, oranges.....nada.  Assume my habitat just isn’t to their liking... will keep trying..

Sighted an Oriole in the backyard a couple of days ago, but today I was able to catch one feeding at the jelly. 

Female Hummer at the kitchen window seems to be getting real comfortable...there's a Butterfly Bush I neglected to prune down to 8" last year, she seems to like to perch and the vantage point it gives. My wife has seen a male, I've not.

And none so far at the other feeder on the back of the house.

Edited by woma