bob_G

Feeding orioles

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

They always come while the crabapple is blooming and then disappear but last year we put out jelly and oranges. Wow!

They were here (eastern long island) right through the Fall and it seemed like two females didn't leave until well into December (I guess they missed their flight?). Amazing birds!!

Posted (edited) · Report post

A friend, in Wareham gets them all summer long .  They go to the same feeder as the hummingbirds,  sugar and water. 
I’m  two doors down and I never get them?   I just get the Hummingbirds. 

Edited by ccb

35 mins ago, ccb said:

A friend, in Wareham gets them all summer long .  They go to the same feeder as the hummingbirds,  sugar and water. 
I’m  two doors down and I never get them?   I just get the Hummingbirds. 

I get hummingbirds from May right up until the end of September. Sometimes a lot of them.  My next door neighbor has hummingbird feeders out, and they never get one. They just fly right by theirs and come to ours.

On 3/1/2021 at 10:33 AM, JohnQ said:

My sister uses grape jelly and orange slices in Mashpee.She has Orioles all summer.

Same thing my wife does.  Seems we see a couple extra each year so they must remember where they went before.

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, bob_G said:

I get hummingbirds from May right up until the end of September. Sometimes a lot of them.  My next door neighbor has hummingbird feeders out, and they never get one. They just fly right by theirs and come to ours.

Maybe because he has more trees in his yard 

The Humming birds like the Red planter pots in my porch. impatiens 

Edited by ccb

First oriole of the year showed up this morning to the jelly feeder (upper Buzzards Bay).  He is sharing the jelly with a pair of chickadees who happens to be nesting 5 feet from the feeder.  Haven’t seen a catbird yet.

1 min ago, JohnDe said:

First oriole of the year showed up this morning to the jelly feeder (upper Buzzards Bay).  He is sharing the jelly with a pair of chickadees who happens to be nesting 5 feet from the feeder.  Haven’t seen a catbird yet.

Had my first catbird this AM. Those are real cool birds.

I have one of these Oriole feeders that has little spikes on it to place oranges as well as holes for Orioles to drink from. I'm going the use this nectar recipe from a birding website. They say the birds go crazy over this.

• 1 cup grape jelly
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • juice from half an orange

Let me know what you all think. I haven't had any orioles as yet.

23 hours ago, The1true1 said:

can any of you post pics of these orioles? also catbirds.

I got a few quick pics when I had got home . I haven't seen the Oriole yet so I substituted a Rose Breasted Grosbeak till an Oriole shows up. IMG_4366.JPG.de193fbcac12d972c1db9b2ca371788e.JPGIMG_4364.JPG.858bfb15f27750982f38461f2d82bb47.JPG