bob_G

Feeding orioles

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

Each spring we have a wave of orioles show up at our feeders, hang around for a week, and vanish. They seem attracted to fresh oranges, but so are my squirrels.  I hear them all summer, so they're around.  Is there anything I can do to attract them.   I like the idea of jelly feeders.  Has anyone tried them, they look like a good idea.

A long term plan is plant flowering Quince. It has a red flower that orioles and hummingbirds love. It blooms around mother's day, right when the birds arrive. 

Unfortunately, the flowers don't last that long and the birds still disappear eventually. 

I think one issue is, once the birds are nesting, they switch their diets to insects.

Also, once more different flowers bloom, they have more choices and less reason to visit feeders

Posted (edited) · Report post

Grape jam and oranges are the way to go. Are feeders are protected from squirrels so they're not a problem. Cat bird and house finch will go to them as well.  To keep them around they would need suitable nesting trees.  Here they make nests in the very tops/tips of branches in poplar and birch trees.  They also like the crab apple blossoms.  They will go to nectar feeders as well, but my neighbors bees always swarm them so we don't put any up. 

Edited by skinnywater

25 mins ago, skinnywater said:

Grape jam and oranges are the way to go. Are feeders are protected from squirrels so they're not a problem. Cat bird and house finch will go to them as well.  To keep them around they would need suitable nesting trees.  Here they make nests in the very tops/tips of branches in poplar and birch trees.  They also like the crab apple blossoms.  They will go to nectar feeders as well, but my neighbors bees always swarm them so we don't put any up. 

We have a huge crab apple in the backyard and a huge flowering pear in the front. Those are the trees that attract them each spring.  But once those trees lose their flowers, it's goodbye orioles. :wave:

Grape jelly feeder outside kitchen sink window works for us. It’s like a an airport with all the orioles coming and going all summer long. We had at least three breeding pairs nesting, and all their offspring coming and going until sep. 6th last year. I keep the orange halves out for the red bellied wood peckers instead, which they devour all summer as well. Then they switched to the suet and stayed all winter, intermittently taking straight seed. 

Platform type feeder with a good squirrel guard for the orange slices.

Hang a jelly feeder with a water trap to keep the ants out.

Usually I’m not so specific but ...  look on Amazon for Perky-pet 253 Oriole feeder.  It sells usually for $13.88.  Go to Aldi and get either a 32 oz jar of grape jelly or a case of the 32 oz grape jelly.  The price on the jelly is not a misprint. It is that cheap.  The plastic jars screw right into the above feeder so no mess.  Hang the feeder in the yard and wait 15 minutes and you will wonder why you haven’t been doing this for years.  The cat birds love the stuff too.  During the peak the birds will go through a jar in a day, not so much early or late in the season.  I know what an oriole nest looks like but haven’t seen one in the immediate area.  

17 mins ago, JohnDe said:

Usually I’m not so specific but ...  look on Amazon for Perky-pet 253 Oriole feeder.  It sells usually for $13.88.  Go to Aldi and get either a 32 oz jar of grape jelly or a case of the 32 oz grape jelly.  The price on the jelly is not a misprint. It is that cheap.  The plastic jars screw right into the above feeder so no mess.  Hang the feeder in the yard and wait 15 minutes and you will wonder why you haven’t been doing this for years.  The cat birds love the stuff too.  During the peak the birds will go through a jar in a day, not so much early or late in the season.  I know what an oriole nest looks like but haven’t seen one in the immediate area.  

That’s the one we use. It’s perfect

They sell the perky pet at Walmart too. It's my go to, they didn't come to other ones. Get it out early and the Orioles will stick around. 

4 hours ago, TonyO said:

They sell the perky pet at Walmart too. It's my go to, they didn't come to other ones. Get it out early and the Orioles will stick around. 

How early is early ?

All I use is suet .Been there with orange slices and jelly but have better luck with Catbirds . The Orioles just fly by it all straight to the suet .

8 hours ago, riggler said:

How early is early ?

Mid April, might not get them for a few weeks. But I would rather get them when they first arrive, they seem to stay all year if you have it out and they get used to it. Otherwise they seem to just migrate thru, staying for maybe 2 weeks

We feed them jelly and cut oranges up here in NH. You can buy a feeder designed just for half orange and jelly. Tough to keep the squirrels out . Pellet gun helps with those feeder piglets, we tried every thing else to no avail.