UncleJohn

March 2021 Fishing reports

Rate this topic

508 posts in this topic

Overcast foggy spooky day with modest SE wind, nice water, temp at 45  no sheds around which surprised or bait, still throwing shads +

1 hour ago, hurricane1091 said:

I ended up with covid last week so I still haven't been fishing. I'm fine no worries. I have to work this Saturday which is rare but I'm really hoping for Sunday to be the day I get the boat out there. I got all the electrical sorted out and I'm dropping the boat off for these dudes to mount the trolling motor and receptacle. Not sure how they are going to do it since you can't reach two of the bolts but I have no one to help me so I have no choice but to see what they can do I guess. 

The local boat ramp didn't open up on April 1 last year either like it's supposed to. Hoping that was because of covid and it'll be open on time this year but I don't know. There's only a month where I can take my boat 30 seconds down the street and go fish in the big D for stripers as opposed to lugging myself an hour or more down the shore so here's to hoping.

Hope your holding up well! Most of the ramps should open up soon, the ramps by me opened not too long ago.

15 mins ago, ACFishing said:

Hope your holding up well! Most of the ramps should open up soon, the ramps by me opened not too long ago.

Thank you, I am pretty good. This ramp is supposed to open up April 1 so we'll see. Things are gonna get interesting by the end of this week fishing wise I bet. 

The other conundrum is bait. Never easy getting bloodworms around these parts anymore.

1st trip. Moved around. Marked bait and fish all over. Actually not a bad day wind wise. Using shads, big tin and small plugs. 1 short.

11 mins ago, Lagerhead said:

1st trip. Moved around. Marked bait and fish all over. Actually not a bad day wind wise. Using shads, big tin and small plugs. 1 short.

22 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

Thank you, I am pretty good. This ramp is supposed to open up April 1 so we'll see. Things are gonna get interesting by the end of this week fishing wise I bet. 

The other conundrum is bait. Never easy getting bloodworms around these parts anymore.

Ive already seen a rise in catches, I have my own spot for low tide bloodworms as they are crazy expensive but I'm not so much of a bait guy regardless 

Fish were really active last night. Decent size, anything from 24”-20lbs. 
24”-30” were the majority. 

No bait was used. Just your typical early spring arsenal. 
Color was a factor. 

12 hours ago, SJ from the Bay said:

Fish were really active last night. Decent size, anything from 24”-20lbs. 
24”-30” were the majority. 

No bait was used. Just your typical early spring arsenal. 
Color was a factor. 

Any additional information?  Tides? Times? Lure color? Boat or shore?  

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Still Trying said:

Edited by Goldy

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, Still Trying said:

Additional info isn’t necessary. It’s early spring, that alone should tell you which tide to aim for. Lure color- look at the moon and that’ll tell you which color to throw. 

Edited by SJ from the Bay

22 mins ago, SJ from the Bay said:

Additional info isn’t necessary. It’s early spring, that alone should tell you which tide to aim for. Lure color- look at the moon and that’ll tell you which color to throw. 

SJ - Not always true with Moon Colors.. I tend to fish light colors most of the time.. 

Are we at a point that lure color is a secret . I understand location , tide etc but a little info that cant hurt you might help someone less skilled ...

That's the issue, how does one get more skilled? For me, one of the ways is I read surf fishing books. IDK if any one reads anymore but all the info is there. Bright night = bright plugs, dark night = dark plugs. Not a secret

Exacty...not a secret so if someone asks how can it hurt to tell them ??  Just feel like what is basic info to someone who has fished for a bit might help a newer person  . If the guy was asking what ,where, when then he doesnt deserve an answer . And honestly like Goldy said there is no set rule, start with what should work and then switch up if not working ..

8 mins ago, AH Perry said:

That's the issue, how does one get more skilled? For me, one of the ways is I read surf fishing books. IDK if any one reads anymore but all the info is there. Bright night = bright plugs, dark night = dark plugs. Not a secret

You’re on point. The report was vague, but for sharpies it was enough. For beginners, it means they didn’t spend the winter doing the work needed for a successful spring.