UncleJohn

March 2021 Fishing reports

Rate this topic

508 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, ganggang said:

see many bunker jumping out of the water. Anyone know the reason?

That’s what they do my friend.

that’s what they do. 

8 hours ago, Sudsy said:

LOL

The way the last few years have gone that's possible

what would you know...you fished once :)

Middlesex County way back ...  8:00 PM to 11:45 PM    Full Moon was shaded by cloud cover at least at the beginning  ....  Light south winds  Calm water and Bunker popping up all around the area....I couldn't buy a bite, but then I didn't see anybody else catch anything..   Almost everybody else was fishing bait, but I was fishing plugs and swim shads ....    Went through a good portion of my minnow plugs and finally I switched over to the black back Hydro Minnow.   After about 10 minutes I snagged what felt like a Truck Tire...    The clouds were partially shading out the Full Moon so I wasn't able to get a good look at First.    I pulled it up and out of the current.   I bent down and pulled on the line with my hands.  Got a good look at it and it was the better part of a tree... I could only lift it partially out of the water and I tried to shake the hook loose but it would not budge.   Finally the line got caught on something and it broke so I called it a night  ...   Second Skunk so far...

DId some scouting and it seems some of the yak guys have been doing fairly decent lately, mostly on bunker they said but some quality fish mixed in nonetheless.

On 3/26/2021 at 11:04 AM, njcatchrelease said:

Any photos the flies you were fishing, I would be interested in seeing them.

More of a herring than bunker Hollow pattern as they were around. 

20210324_210528_20210324211541790.jpg

Reports for Friday, banner day with a buddy I haven’t fished with in 20 years... I lost count over 20. It was through the entire stage of outgoing. He caught at the same rate. Went more south than I normally do. Bay spot. Wind was sick and the water was brown as hell . We threw worms of course but I know others caught on small swimmers the days before. We had different conditions to deal with so worms were the choice. 
so I see much convo about the water being chocolate. Not ideal but if ur willing to throw bait in that water u will catch if they’re there. If u think of terms in having the heavy wind in ur face along with a channel or decent drop off in a bay....with Google earth u can create ur own places to fish on different conditions instead of joining the crowds at the popular places. 
my biggest was just short, my buddy lost a teen fish right before being beached. It was a great fight to watch in those conditions on light tackle. Great season for me so far. Good luck 

Hit the way way back for a few hours at high tide.  No love but was nice to get out, water was still cold at 49* Threw plugs and rubber as I cant bait and wait.  

Fish n game is out in full force.  Saw them in action.  One guy had 11shorts.  

im still looking for the bait and fish

Can't remember when the last time I caught on plugs in March but it happened last night. Got 5, not gonna say size cuz I barely believe it.  Not even gonna say county, very hesitant about posting overly descriptive reports this year for some reason.  Water was not cold, had to be 50 or close to it and was pretty clear where I was. Everything changed today I'm sure with the snotty weather.  On the way out around 11pm, I was greeted by 2 fish and game officers. They asked me if I saw anyone keeping shorts, good to see them out in force. 

1 hour ago, AH Perry said:

Can't remember when the last time I caught on plugs in March but it happened last night. Got 5, not gonna say size cuz I barely believe it.  Not even gonna say county, very hesitant about posting overly descriptive reports this year for some reason.  Water was not cold, had to be 50 or close to it and was pretty clear where I was. Everything changed today I'm sure with the snotty weather.  On the way out around 11pm, I was greeted by 2 fish and game officers. They asked me if I saw anyone keeping shorts, good to see them out in force. 

They are at all the right spots to start off. 

18 hours ago, joefishnj21 said:

yeh that was us likely in the dark blue grady. lotta seals out there today. looked promising. glad the morning saw some more action. 

You out again today?

I ended up with covid last week so I still haven't been fishing. I'm fine no worries. I have to work this Saturday which is rare but I'm really hoping for Sunday to be the day I get the boat out there. I got all the electrical sorted out and I'm dropping the boat off for these dudes to mount the trolling motor and receptacle. Not sure how they are going to do it since you can't reach two of the bolts but I have no one to help me so I have no choice but to see what they can do I guess. 

The local boat ramp didn't open up on April 1 last year either like it's supposed to. Hoping that was because of covid and it'll be open on time this year but I don't know. There's only a month where I can take my boat 30 seconds down the street and go fish in the big D for stripers as opposed to lugging myself an hour or more down the shore so here's to hoping.