UncleJohn

March 2021 Fishing reports

Rate this topic

508 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, computeruser said:

I have been catching sea robins a lot mostly when fishing for fluke... they are "gulp" destroyers...and if you are not careful you may cut your fingers when taking them off the hook. They are tasty but full of small bones...half of the body is a huge head...so for me it has to weigh at least 2 lbs to keep it.

To stay away from those spikes up around their gill plates, just lip them like a bass. There isn't anything in their mouths to cut you. 

I don’t know about you guys, but when I was a kid I use to pound sea robins from the beach, every cast, double headers, metal and teaser. I noticed that robins are wayyyy less frequent on my beaches then they use to be. Also when I was younger I did a lot of free diving off jetties and would see them all over the bottom. What I observed is they are much paler when in the water and brighten up to a deep reddish orange when hooked. 

15 hours ago, chitala383 said:

I don't care what the masses think,  I love catching sea robins. For their size they fight pretty good, especially on light fluke gear. And they're absolutely delicious.

Just out of curiosity how are you cooking your robins? Frying? Must be a pain to clean, right?

When I was younger, and my old man was still alive, we’d fish out our boat around Sandy hook, and we always had sea robins while fluking, many of them. My dad always threw them back, and told me to throw them back.

I remember years ago before he died, I told him I heard they taste good. He’s all like no it’s a trash fish, it’s garbage.

I live down in south Jersey now, and I don’t encounter the amount of sea robins that I would see up around the hook. 

1 hour ago, MattieG said:

Just out of curiosity how are you cooking your robins? Frying? Must be a pain to clean, right?

When I was younger, and my old man was still alive, we’d fish out our boat around Sandy hook, and we always had sea robins while fluking, many of them. My dad always threw them back, and told me to throw them back.

I remember years ago before he died, I told him I heard they taste good. He’s all like no it’s a trash fish, it’s garbage.

I live down in south Jersey now, and I don’t encounter the amount of sea robins that I would see up around the hook. 

I tend to bread and fry my robin fillets, surprisingly tasty up against some of the more popular species like fluke. Not too bad to clean, you kinda have to hold the fish still on it's side since they sit flat but its not a crazy amount of bones if you take your time and it produces a fairly good yield of meat.

Bad blow today out on the bay with white caps and all the rest. Should calm down tomorrow and with a few tide cycles should clean up decently by Sunday. Also supposed to get warmer which will make for more comfortable fishing. The bass are coming boys

Planning on heading down with the kid on Tuesday after school. Going MOCO-outback from the surf to let him soak some clams and worms and fiddle with his new lures. Supposed to be decent weather. Anyone seeing any stripers yet?

16 hours ago, suntzu said:

Bunker out front today

Something I haven’t noticed before but we do have them in the back too. I have to believe they wintered over but this would be new to me

6 mins ago, wasy said:

Something I haven’t noticed before but we do have them in the back too. I have to believe they wintered over but this would be new to me

I don’t think they all go south, i think they may also go east Small pods out front yesterday in cold 41 degree water, had two wash up live that were returned Still a ways to go