MuskieJim

Rooftop Rod Holders

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hello!  What are some of the options for a rooftop rod holder rack (the style that pinches the rod between the bars).   I have a 2018 Ford Expedition with the factory roof rack. 

Edited by MuskieJim

any locking ski rack is great for transporting rods. would not recommend for leaving your rods in them out overnight or anything like that though. I use the Thule Flat Top Ski rack, $140.

Ditto on ski rack - recycled my old Thule “scissor style” ski rack to carry rods - no complaints

good luck 

Yakima makes a smaller one now that's specific to fishing rods.  I's basically just their smaller ski rack.  It will hold about 4 rods/reels.

It's nice if roof real estate is at a premium.

I went the ski rack route. Picked up a cheap pair off Amazon for 70$? Locks included. I'm going to try and fab something up that will cover my reels.

20210418_181505.jpg

5 hours ago, Turkeybacn said:

I went the ski rack route. Picked up a cheap pair off Amazon for 70$? Locks included. I'm going to try and fab something up that will cover my reels.

20210418_181505.jpg

Socks. Zip ties.

22 mins ago, yosco said:

Socks. Zip ties.

Haha I'm looking for something that will keep that from getting nicked. Actually on second thought a pair of my socks after a day in my work boots might actually make a great anti theft device 

Rac-a-Rod is no longer manufacturing, due to health issues. Thule has a Rod Vault St for "standard tackle rods" with an estimated availability of August 11th, but I do not know if it accommodates the longer butt of a surf rod.

On 7/31/2021 at 11:09 PM, MontaukSurfcaster said:

Rac a rod system

On 8/1/2021 at 5:07 AM, FlatWing said:

Rac-a-Rod is no longer manufacturing, due to health issues. Thule has a Rod Vault St for "standard tackle rods" with an estimated availability of August 11th, but I do not know if it accommodates the longer butt of a surf rod.

Wow, sad to hear. I hope hi health improves. He was such a nice guy to deal with. His racks are beasts and his customer service was incredible. 

I wonder, hope, that someone will pick up where he left off.

JD