aae0130

Arthur Kill history

Rate this topic

79 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I found this utube video showing aerial (drone) views of some of the old relic ships and abandoned dock areas. It might interest people who know the area. 

Edited by aae0130

Crazy amount of debris just left to rot.  Would have thought someone would go get that scrap metal by now.

Anyone ever take a yack in there and fish?  

4 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

Crazy amount of debris just left to rot.  Would have thought someone would go get that scrap metal by now.

Anyone ever take a yack in there and fish?  

I tried years ago, but the bottom of the yak started disintegrating.

(just kidding)

(sort of)

interesting video!

I worked part time at the old Raritan Steel/General cable facility back in college.

Edited by robtf

I sometimes run my 16 side console up and down that area of the river and pass by all of that. From the river channel view you don’t realize the expanse of it. The drone let’s you see the reality of it. I bet there are plenty of aluminum props and fishing lures in there...lol

31 mins ago, Irishfire18 said:

That was all prime oyster and clam grounds pre 1900.

Yes, you are right. I was born on Staten Island and my Mom told me her and my uncles caught blue crabs in the river. I myself caught crabs on the barges down by the Outerbridge. Raritan Bay in general had some of the best clam beds around. As kids we'd find them with our feet and dive down to get them, cooked them in a beach fire and ate them right there on the spot, how we never got hepatitis I can't explain. Of course pollution ruined that. The Clean Water Act really helped to make the bay better. I moved away in 1983 so am not familiar with what is happening now there but growing up a mile from the beach made for a wonderful childhood.  The expressway and bridge changed the island, some for the better and some for the worse but that is another topic all together.

Edited by Ted Pietz

I've kayaked the Northern end there by Shooters Island, the beach of that island is literally half iron! I guess it just shows what a rich country we are that all of that metal was just left there for more than half a century.

5bb82b74a9df2_beachiron2.JPG.fdaa0ef15e13a125a4974a5638eb24a6.JPG

Ive worked on the Arthur kill in tremley point, on and off for the past few years. The size of the ships that come through there is truly amazing. Having trouble finding other pictures

IMG_20200811_131325.jpg

There is another section like that between the Goethals and Bayonne bridges. There are still a lot of major shipyards , tug and barge companies on the North shore. 

1 hour ago, el_tsunami said:

Ive worked on the Arthur kill in tremley point, on and off for the past few years. The size of the ships that come through there is truly amazing. Having trouble finding other pictures

Yup, even bigger come through the Kill Van Kull.  These were taken when they were finishing up raising the roadway on the bridge.603e93c251b78_ship2.JPG.fe338472ab41bff4963f603c6f274f99.JPG

603e93509d09d_DSCF2984_modified_thjaws.jpg.3edd8050ddb88bcef6ffd7263597fda6.jpg

2 hours ago, jerseystriper said:

need to bring these guys in for 6 months- whole place will cleaned up- cool looking video

...that was cool. Those guys removing the large rivets with a sledge and spike are putting in a hard day.

I guess they don’t have an OSHA equivalent.....

Edited by aae0130