jgonz

Western MA Surfcasters

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I picked up surfcasting around this time last year, and set out to fish the Canal this past summer. A couple schoolies later and I was hooked. I plan on returning to the ditch several times this season, but also want to hit some other water. (North shore, Cape, RI, CT, long island/Montauk)

However, I am in Springfield, MA, which in most cases is at least a 2 hr drive from any fishable water. Any advice on how to make the most of my time on the water?

Also, I'm curious to know how many of you are out this way. Can't be the only one, right? 

Edited by jgonz

If you don’t know the areas you intend to fish take a ride down now. Scouting out areas you intend to fish first is always a good idea and finding a place to park doesn’t hurt either.

Binge fishing is the best option.  Multi day outings. Day trip travel ratios are not so effective and dangerous for you and others you share the road with. 

5 hours ago, sandbars said:

If you don’t know the areas you intend to fish take a ride down now. Scouting out areas you intend to fish first is always a good idea and finding a place to park doesn’t hurt either.

Think I might do that, thanks for the reply :wave:

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, puppet said:

Binge fishing is the best option.  Multi day outings. Day trip travel ratios are not so effective and dangerous for you and others you share the road with. 

Gonna have to agree. Plus I’d feel more content going home skunked knowing I put that kind of time in.. LOL 

Edited by jgonz

2 mins ago, GarbageFish said:

depends if you have wife and kids at home.... otherwise leave on Friday and sleep in car until sunday

No wife and kids..  I’m 20 yr old. That seems to be my best option, thanks!

Dude! You have the western Mass. sickness.

Your best bet is to suck it up and sneak down the Cape and have a good time.

Bring good thoughts and don't leave chit on the beach.

Have fun.

3 hours ago, oldgoat said:

Dude! You have the western Mass. sickness.

Your best bet is to suck it up and sneak down the Cape and have a good time.

Bring good thoughts and don't leave chit on the beach.

Have fun.

LOL you’re not wrong. I’ll get there for sure.. thank you  :howdy:

I have to agree with Puppet, multi-day outings is the way to go.  I'm just north of you, but I have a buddy out east and I head to his place and we tend to take off and fish that day and into the night, grab a couple hours in the car and fish early morning pre sunrise into the following day.   I get this in as often as I can, we did the same pattern for the canal last year, but found I prefer standing in the surf. 

2 mins ago, Travel4Fish said:

I have to agree with Puppet, multi-day outings is the way to go.  I'm just north of you, but I have a buddy out east and I head to his place and we tend to take off and fish that day and into the night, grab a couple hours in the car and fish early morning pre sunrise into the following day.   I get this in as often as I can, we did the same pattern for the canal last year, but found I prefer standing in the surf. 

Thanks for the reply. It’s motivating to know there’s other guys in the same position as me. No excuses, get out and fish. And I agree, the canal can be fun, but the surf is calling me.. 

Hope you have a great season 

8 mins ago, nicknotsebastian said:

don’t need to go that far S at all if you are looking for bass in may/june

If he was saying to fish the sound from CT, that’s really not that far. It’s just over an hour drive in most cases. I think that is one of my better (if not my best) options, no? 

What do you think? 

1 min ago, jgonz said:

If he was saying to fish the sound from CT, that’s really not that far. It’s just over an hour drive in most cases. I think that is one of my better (if not my best) options, no? 

What do you think? 

It is but he is saying they travel up the rivers and you can find them closer to home if you did your research.